Chemotherapy for leukaemia following previous pelvic radiotherapy is associated with severe enteritis and haemorrhagic cystitis.
AffiliationClinical Haematology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe two patients who developed extensive ulceration, haemorrhage and necrosis of bladder or bowel following treatment with intensive chemotherapy for acute leukaemia. Major surgical intervention was required in both cases. Both patients had previously undergone pelvic radiotherapy for gynaecologic malignancy and had suffered symptoms of chronic radiation-induced cystitis and enteritis. Bowel and bladder histology showed evidence of chronic radiation cystitis or enteritis. We postulate that combined mucosal toxicity secondary to cytotoxic therapy and chronic radiation-induced damage to bowel or bladder mucosa resulted in critical ischaemia, ulceration and necrosis of bowel and bladder. Caution must be exercised in the treatment of patients receiving intensive chemotherapy if there is a history of chronic radiation enteritis or cystitis, and dosage reductions may be justified.
CitationChemotherapy for leukaemia following previous pelvic radiotherapy is associated with severe enteritis and haemorrhagic cystitis. 2001, 80 (8):485-7 Ann. Hematol.
JournalAnnals of Hematology
- Radiation or chemotherapy cystitis with "pseudocarcinomatous" features.
- Authors: Chan TY, Epstein JI
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- Pelvic complications after interstitial and external beam irradiation of urologic and gynecologic malignancy.
- Authors: Schellhammer PF, Jordan GH, el-Mahdi AM
- Issue date: 1986 Apr
- Intravesical formalin for the control of intractable bladder haemorrhage secondary to radiation cystitis or bladder cancer.
- Authors: Likourinas M, Cranides A, Jiannopoulos B, Kostakopoulos A, Dimopoulos C
- Issue date: 1979 Jun 22
- Role of triamcinolone in radiation enteritis management.
- Authors: Cetin E, Ozturk AS, Orhun H, Ulger S
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 21
- Hemorrhagic radiation cystitis. Treatment.
- Authors: McGuire EJ, Weiss RM, Schiff M Jr, Lytton B
- Issue date: 1974 Feb