In vitro labelling studies and the measurement of epithelial cell proliferative activity in the human oral cavity.
AffiliationDepartment of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Dental School, University of Newcastle, Framlington Place, NE2 4BW, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSamples (110) of human mandibular gingiva and buccal mucosa, harvested from patients undergoing third-molar surgery, were subjected to in vitro labelling with tritiated thymidine, bromodeoxyuridine, or a sequential double-labelling technique comprising tritiated thymidine followed by bromodeoxyuridine, in order to determine the efficacy of a new incubation labelling technique, and to characterize S-phase labelling indices in human oral mucosa. Whilst, there were no demonstrable differences in labelling indices obtained by single thymidine, single bromodeoxyuridine or double labelling, there was a significant difference between anatomical sites, with higher S phase labelling observed in buccal mucosa (mean LI 11.7) than mandibular gingiva (mean LI 8.5; P<0.01). There was, however, no significant correlation between individual labelling indices and patient age, sex or the time of day when tissue was harvested. The in vitro labelling technique provides a reliable and quantifiable method of characterizing proliferative labelling indices in the human oral cavity. Further investigation is being carried out to profile wider age and anatomical ranges and to utilize the double-labelling technique to calculate S-phase durations and cell-cycle times. These profiles may have a future role in the assessment of oral mucous membrane disease.
CitationIn vitro labelling studies and the measurement of epithelial cell proliferative activity in the human oral cavity. 2001, 46 (12):1157-64 Arch. Oral Biol.
JournalArchives of Oral Biology
- Tritiated thymidine and bromodeoxyuridine double-labelling studies on growth factors and oral epithelial proliferation in the mouse.
- Authors: Thomson PJ, McGurk M, Potten CS, Walton GM, Appleton DR
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Mapping dynamic epithelial cell proliferative activity within the oral cavity of man: a new insight into carcinogenesis?
- Authors: Thomson PJ, Potten CS, Appleton DR
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Double labelling of cells with tritiated thymidine and bromodeoxyuridine reveals a circadian rhythm-dependent variation in duration of DNA synthesis and S phase flux rates in rodent oral epithelium.
- Authors: Hume WJ, Thompson J
- Issue date: 1990 Jul
- The influence of rate of cell entry to S phase on the labelling index of human buccal epithelium.
- Authors: Warnakulasuriya KA, MacDonald DG
- Issue date: 1995 Feb