Assessment of DNA damage in C6 glioma cells after antidepressant treatment using an alkaline comet assay.
AffiliationDepartment of Biological Sciences, University of Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of acute (24 h) exposure to the antidepressants amitriptyline, imipramine (both tricyclics), fluoxetine (a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) and tranylcypromine (a monoamine oxidase inhibitor) on DNA damage in cultured C6 rat glioma cells were determined using an alkaline comet assay. The effects of manipulation of intracellular cyclic AMP by pretreatment with dibutyryl cyclic AMP (dBcAMP) and 3-isobutyl-1-methylxanthine (IBMX) were also studied. For fluoxetine, the effects of addition of exogenous glutathione (GSH) and pretreatment with L-buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) were also assessed. There were increases in DNA damage with increasing concentrations of antidepressants. IBMX pretreatment protected against antidepressant-induced DNA damage in C6 cells pretreated with dBcAMP. Addition of exogenous reduced GSH and BSO increased DNA damage after fluoxetine exposure. The data show that the antidepressants induce significant amounts DNA damage in C6 cells.
CitationAssessment of DNA damage in C6 glioma cells after antidepressant treatment using an alkaline comet assay. 2001, 75 (4):243-50 Arch. Toxicol.
JournalArchives of Toxicology
- Antioxidant defense against antidepressants in C6 and 1321N1 cells.
- Authors: Slamon ND, Pentreath VW
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 14
- Extending prematuration with cAMP modulators enhances the cumulus contribution to oocyte antioxidant defence and oocyte quality via gap junctions.
- Authors: Li HJ, Sutton-McDowall ML, Wang X, Sugimura S, Thompson JG, Gilchrist RB
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Influence of glutathione levels on radiation-induced chromosomal DNA damage and repair in human peripheral lymphocytes.
- Authors: Pujari G, Berni A, Palitti F, Chatterjee A
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 30
- Forskolin-stimulated cyclic AMP accumulation mediates protein synthesis-dependent refractoriness in C6-2B rat glioma cells.
- Authors: Barovsky K, Pedone C, Brooker G
- Issue date: 1983
- Increasing the cAMP concentration during in vitro maturation of pig oocytes improves cumulus maturation and subsequent fertilization in vitro.
- Authors: Appeltant R, Beek J, Vandenberghe L, Maes D, Van Soom A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb