Assessment of DNA damage in C6 glioma cells after antidepressant treatment using an alkaline comet assay.
AffiliationDepartment of Biological Sciences, University of Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of acute (24 h) exposure to the antidepressants amitriptyline, imipramine (both tricyclics), fluoxetine (a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) and tranylcypromine (a monoamine oxidase inhibitor) on DNA damage in cultured C6 rat glioma cells were determined using an alkaline comet assay. The effects of manipulation of intracellular cyclic AMP by pretreatment with dibutyryl cyclic AMP (dBcAMP) and 3-isobutyl-1-methylxanthine (IBMX) were also studied. For fluoxetine, the effects of addition of exogenous glutathione (GSH) and pretreatment with L-buthionine sulfoximine (BSO) were also assessed. There were increases in DNA damage with increasing concentrations of antidepressants. IBMX pretreatment protected against antidepressant-induced DNA damage in C6 cells pretreated with dBcAMP. Addition of exogenous reduced GSH and BSO increased DNA damage after fluoxetine exposure. The data show that the antidepressants induce significant amounts DNA damage in C6 cells.
CitationAssessment of DNA damage in C6 glioma cells after antidepressant treatment using an alkaline comet assay. 2001, 75 (4):243-50 Arch. Toxicol.
JournalArchives of Toxicology
- Antioxidant defense against antidepressants in C6 and 1321N1 cells.
- Authors: Slamon ND, Pentreath VW
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 14
- Influence of glutathione levels on radiation-induced chromosomal DNA damage and repair in human peripheral lymphocytes.
- Authors: Pujari G, Berni A, Palitti F, Chatterjee A
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 30
- Treatment of C6 glioma cells and rats with antidepressant drugs increases the detergent extraction of G(s alpha) from plasma membrane.
- Authors: Toki S, Donati RJ, Rasenick MM
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Manipulation of energy and redox states in the C6 glioma cells by buthionine sulfoxamine and N-acetylcysteine and the effect on cell survival to cadmium toxicity.
- Authors: Yang MS, Yu LC, Pat SW
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 15
- Effect of glutathione (GSH) depletion on DNA damage and blood chemistry in aged and young rats.
- Authors: Hashimoto K, Takasaki W, Yamoto T, Manabe S, Sato I, Tsuda S
- Issue date: 2008 Oct