Frequency of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 mutations in sporadic tumours.
AffiliationICRF Clinical Centre, St. James's University Hospital, Leeds, LS9 7TF, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMutations in FGFR3 have been identified in several tumour types including bladder carcinoma, cervical carcinoma, and multiple myeloma. In bladder carcinoma, we recently identified FGFR3 mutations in 41% of tumours, making this the most frequently mutated putative oncogene identified in bladder cancer to date. We have now investigated the frequency of FGFR3 mutation in a panel of 125 tumours and 13 cell lines from various other organs. We analysed the mutation hotspots in exons 7, 10 and 15 by direct DNA sequencing, and found one mutation in exon 7 (S249C) in 1/28 (3.5%) cervical tumours. Mutations were not detected in stomach, rectum, colon, prostate, ovarian, breast, brain, or renal tumours, nor were they found in any of the cell lines included in this study. We conclude that FGFR3 is commonly mutated in bladder carcinoma and only rarely in cervical carcinoma. Several tumour types appear not to possess any mutations in FGFR3, suggesting that these mutations are important only in the development of certain types of tumour.
CitationFrequency of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 mutations in sporadic tumours. 2001, 20 (32):4416-8 Oncogene
- Somatic mutations of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3) are uncommon in carcinomas of the uterine cervix.
- Authors: Wu R, Connolly D, Ngelangel C, Bosch FX, Muñoz N, Cho KR
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 16
- No evidence of somatic FGFR3 mutation in various types of carcinoma.
- Authors: Karoui M, Hofmann-Radvanyi H, Zimmermann U, Couvelard A, Degott C, Faridoni-Laurens L, Ahomadegbe JC, Gazzeri S, Brambilla E, Clerici T, Charbonnier P, Tresallet C, Mitry E, Penna C, Rougier P, Boileau C, Thiery JP, Nordlinger B, Franc B, Radvanyi F
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 16
- Absence of FGFR3 mutations in urinary bladder tumours of rats and mice treated with N-butyl-N-(-4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine.
- Authors: Dunois-Lardé C, Levrel O, Brams A, Thiery JP, Radvanyi F
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Loss of heterozygosity at 4p16.3 and mutation of FGFR3 in transitional cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Sibley K, Cuthbert-Heavens D, Knowles MA
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 8
- Frequent FGFR3 mutations in papillary non-invasive bladder (pTa) tumors.
- Authors: Billerey C, Chopin D, Aubriot-Lorton MH, Ricol D, Gil Diez de Medina S, Van Rhijn B, Bralet MP, Lefrere-Belda MA, Lahaye JB, Abbou CC, Bonaventure J, Zafrani ES, van der Kwast T, Thiery JP, Radvanyi F
- Issue date: 2001 Jun