Anti-8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine phage antibodies: isolation, characterization, and relationship to disease states.
AffiliationDepartment of Immunology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have used human single chain Fv (scFv) phage display antibody libraries to isolate recombinant antibodies against the DNA adduct 8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxodG). One of these scFvs (175G) bound to several 8-oxodG-containing oligonucleotides whilst demonstrating no cross-reactivity with G-containing control oligonucleotides, and bound to 8-oxodG lesions introduced into DNA by treatment with methylene blue and white light. In addition, 175G inhibited the cleavage of an 8-oxodG-containing oligonucleotide by the Escherichia coli enzyme formamidopyrimidine-DNA glycosylase (Fpg). The nucleotide sequence of the 175G V(H) gene segment was 98% homologous to the published V(H) sequence of a human hybridoma derived from a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Sera from two SLE patients bound to damaged DNA, and this binding could be inhibited by 175G. The use of human scFv phage display libraries has thus produced a unique reagent with specificity for 8-oxodG, which may have a role in damage detection and quantitation and in modifying DNA repair activity. 175G also offers support to the hypothesis that SLE might be associated with oxidative damage to DNA.
CitationAnti-8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine phage antibodies: isolation, characterization, and relationship to disease states. 2001, 280 (3):595-604 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
- Anti-estradiol-17beta single-chain Fv fragments: Generation, characterization, gene randomization, and optimized phage display.
- Authors: Kobayashi N, Kato Y, Oyama H, Taga S, Niwa T, Sun P, Ohtoyo M, Goto J
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 22
- Characterization of autoantibodies against sulfatide from a V-gene phage-display library derived from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Guchhait P, López JA, Thiagarajan P
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Human antibodies with sub-nanomolar affinities isolated from a large non-immunized phage display library.
- Authors: Vaughan TJ, Williams AJ, Pritchard K, Osbourn JK, Pope AR, Earnshaw JC, McCafferty J, Hodits RA, Wilton J, Johnson KS
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Lupus-derived antiprothrombin autoantibodies from a V gene phage display library are specific for the kringle 2 domain of prothrombin.
- Authors: Le A, Dasgupta S, Planque S, Paul S, Thiagarajan P
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 6
- Aberrant processing of oxidative DNA damage in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Evans MD, Cooke MS, Akil M, Samanta A, Lunec J
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 14