Selection of single chain variable fragments (scFv) against the glycoprotein antigen of the rabies virus from a human synthetic scFv phage display library and their fusion with the Fc region of human IgG1.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have prepared human recombinant antibody molecules against the glycoprotein antigen of the rabies virus (GPRV) based on the single chain variable fragment (scFv) format. Anti-GPRV scFvs were selected from a human synthetic scFv phage display library with a repertoire of approximately 109 specificities. After three rounds of selection against the PV11 strain of the virus, 40% of the clones tested recognized the rabies antigen. Of the 20 positive clones that were sequenced, five distinct sequences were identified. These distinct scFvs were cloned into a mammalian expression vector carrying the human IgG1 Fc region. The specificity of the resulting scFv-Fc molecules for GPRV was established by ELISA, dot blot and western blot analyses and membrane immunofluorescence. Two of the scFv-Fc fusion proteins neutralized the PV11 strain in a standard in vivo neutralization assay where the virus was incubated with the scFv-Fc molecules before intracranial inoculation in mice. These anti-GPRV scFv-Fc molecules have the potential to be used as an alternative to the presently available HRIG, for use in post-exposure preventive treatment.
CitationSelection of single chain variable fragments (scFv) against the glycoprotein antigen of the rabies virus from a human synthetic scFv phage display library and their fusion with the Fc region of human IgG1. 2001, 125 (1):94-101 Clin. Exp. Immunol.
JournalClinical and Experimental Immunology
- Expression, purification and characterization of a human single-chain Fv antibody fragment fused with the Fc of an IgG1 targeting a rabies antigen in Pichia pastoris.
- Authors: Wang DD, Su MM, Sun Y, Huang SL, Wang J, Yan WQ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- [Construction of human phage-displayed scFv library and selection of the ScFv against rabies virus].
- Authors: Zhao XL, Yin J, Wang H, Jiang M, Hou XJ
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- The human antibody repertoire specific for rabies virus glycoprotein as selected from immune libraries.
- Authors: Kramer RA, Marissen WE, Goudsmit J, Visser TJ, Clijsters-Van der Horst M, Bakker AQ, de Jong M, Jongeneelen M, Thijsse S, Backus HH, Rice AB, Weldon WC, Rupprecht CE, Dietzschold B, Bakker AB, de Kruif J
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Generation and characterization of human monoclonal antibodies to G5, a linear neutralization epitope on glycoprotein of rabies virus, by phage display technology.
- Authors: Zhao XL, Yin J, Chen WQ, Jiang M, Yang G, Yang ZH
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Phage-displayed and soluble mouse scFv fragments neutralize rabies virus.
- Authors: Muller BH, Lafay F, Demangel C, Perrin P, Tordo N, Flamand A, Lafaye P, Guesdon JL
- Issue date: 1997 Sep