Short tandem repeat profiling provides an international reference standard for human cell lines.
AuthorsMasters, J R
Thomson, J A
Reid, Y A
Dirks, W G
Toji, L H
Arlett, C F
Kelland, L R
Ward, Timothy H
Ayres, K L
Debenham, P G
AffiliationInstitute of Urology, University College London, 3rd Floor Research Laboratories, 67 Riding House Street, London W1W 7EY, United Kingdom. J.Masters@Ucl.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCross-contamination between cell lines is a longstanding and frequent cause of scientific misrepresentation. Estimates from national testing services indicate that up to 36% of cell lines are of a different origin or species to that claimed. To test a standard method of cell line authentication, 253 human cell lines from banks and research institutes worldwide were analyzed by short tandem repeat profiling. The short tandem repeat profile is a simple numerical code that is reproducible between laboratories, is inexpensive, and can provide an international reference standard for every cell line. If DNA profiling of cell lines is accepted and demanded internationally, scientific misrepresentation because of cross-contamination can be largely eliminated.
CitationShort tandem repeat profiling provides an international reference standard for human cell lines. 2001, 98 (14):8012-7 Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.
JournalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
- Short tandem repeat DNA typing provides an international reference standard for authentication of human cell lines.
- Authors: Dirks WG, Faehnrich S, Estella IA, Drexler HG
- Issue date: 2005
- Profiling and authentication of human cell lines using short tandem repeat (STR) loci: Report from the National Cell Bank of Iran.
- Authors: Azari S, Ahmadi N, Tehrani MJ, Shokri F
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Recommendation of short tandem repeat profiling for authenticating human cell lines, stem cells, and tissues.
- Authors: Barallon R, Bauer SR, Butler J, Capes-Davis A, Dirks WG, Elmore E, Furtado M, Kline MC, Kohara A, Los GV, MacLeod RA, Masters JR, Nardone M, Nardone RM, Nims RW, Price PJ, Reid YA, Shewale J, Sykes G, Steuer AF, Storts DR, Thomson J, Taraporewala Z, Alston-Roberts C, Kerrigan L
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- Essential role for gene profiling analysis in the authentication of human cell lines.
- Authors: Yoshino K, Iimura E, Saijo K, Iwase S, Fukami K, Ohno T, Obata Y, Nakamura Y
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- SNP array profiling of mouse cell lines identifies their strains of origin and reveals cross-contamination and widespread aneuploidy.
- Authors: Didion JP, Buus RJ, Naghashfar Z, Threadgill DW, Morse HC 3rd, de Villena FP
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 3