Increased pathology incidence in the forestomach of rats maintained on a diet containing ivermectin and given a single dose of N-methyl-N1-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIvermectin is widely used against parasitic infections in veterinary and human medicine and was found to promote the growth of lesions leading to neoplasia when given continuously in the diet to Wistar rats receiving a single low dose of N-methyl-N1-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG). No tumors or pathological lesions were observed in the forestomach of the control animals or those given ivermectin alone. However, compared to animals receiving MNNG alone, rats maintained on a diet containing ivermectin (2 ppm) and given MNNG (12.5 mg/kg) by gavage showed an increased number of neoplasms (9/26 vs 3/18; p = 0.30) and a statistically significant fourfold increase in the number of pathological lesions (18/26 vs 3/18; p = 0.002), which include preneoplasia in the forestomach. In all cases, the pathological lesions were more severe in the animals receiving ivermectin and MNNG, compared to those receiving MNNG alone.
CitationIncreased pathology incidence in the forestomach of rats maintained on a diet containing ivermectin and given a single dose of N-methyl-N1-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine. 2001, 20 (3):223-7 J. Environ. Pathol. Toxicol. Oncol.
JournalJournal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology
- Promoting effects of combined antioxidant and sodium nitrite treatment on forestomach carcinogenesis in rats after initiation with N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine.
- Authors: Miyauchi M, Nakamura H, Furukawa F, Son HY, Nishikawa A, Hirose M
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 8
- Chemopreventive effects of 24R,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, a vitamin D3 derivative, on glandular stomach carcinogenesis induced in rats by N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine and sodium chloride.
- Authors: Ikezaki S, Nishikawa A, Furukawa F, Tanakamura Z, Kim HC, Mori H, Takahashi M
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 15
- Effects of NaCl, Tween 60 and a low dose of N-ethyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine on gastric carcinogenesis of rat given a single dose of N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine.
- Authors: Shirai T, Imaida K, Fukushima S, Hasegawa R, Tatematsu M, Ito N
- Issue date: 1982
- Potential preventive effects of Chelidonium majis L. (Papaveraceae) herb extract on glandular stomach tumor development in rats treated with N-methyl-N'-nitro-N nitrosoguanidine (MNNG) and hypertonic sodium chloride.
- Authors: Kim DJ, Ahn B, Han BS, Tsuda H
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 30
- Dose-dependent promotion of rat forestomach carcinogenesis by combined treatment with sodium nitrite and ascorbic acid after initiation with N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine: possible contribution of nitric oxide-associated oxidative DNA damage.
- Authors: Okazaki K, Ishii Y, Kitamura Y, Maruyama S, Umemura T, Miyauchi M, Yamagishi M, Imazawa T, Nishikawa A, Yoshimura Y, Nakazawa H, Hirose M
- Issue date: 2006 Mar