Tumor apoptosis in cervical cancer: its role as a prognostic factor in 42 radiotherapy patients.
Cho, Hyun Yee
Lee, Kyu Chan
Hwang, You Jin
Lee, Myung Hak
Roberts, Stephen A
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, Gil Medical Center, Gachon Medical College, Inchon, Korea.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo investigate tumor apoptosis as a prognostic factor for outcome following radiation therapy, comparisons were made of apoptotic index (AI) as a predictor of short- vs. long-term response and pretreatment vs. radiation-induced apoptosis. Forty-two patients with proven squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix were treated by radiation alone. Apoptosis was measured by light microscopic observation of hematoxylin and eosin-stained sections from biopsies taken before treatment and 4 and 24 hr after 2 Gy. Patients were evaluated at the end of the external radiation for determination of short-term response and for long-term outcome as well (median follow-up of 27 months). Patients with high spontaneous AI showed poor short-term response, local control, and survival. The significance of AI as a predictor of short-term response was lost after allowing for differences in tumor size. The positive predictive value of AI for local control and survival was independent of tumor size and stage. High AI was associated with poor local control and long-term prognosis in advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix. The in vivo radiation-induced AI after 4 or 24 hr did not predict radiation therapy outcome.
CitationTumor apoptosis in cervical cancer: its role as a prognostic factor in 42 radiotherapy patients. 2001, 96 (5):305-12 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Apoptosis, intrinsic radiosensitivity and prediction of radiotherapy response in cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Levine EL, Renehan A, Gossiel R, Davidson SE, Roberts SA, Chadwick C, Wilks DP, Potten CS, Hendry JH, Hunter RD
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- A ratio of apoptosis to mitosis, proliferation pattern and prediction of radiotherapy response in cervical carcinoma.
- Authors: Gasinska A, Urbanski K, Gruchala A, Biesaga B, Kojs Z
- Issue date: 2002
- Prognostic factors in definitive radiotherapy of uterine cervical cancer.
- Authors: Yalman D, Aras AB, Ozkök S, Duransoy A, Celik OK, Ozsaran Z, Haydaroğlu A
- Issue date: 2003
- Prognostic implication of apoptosis and angiogenesis in cervical uteri cancer.
- Authors: Zaghloul MS, El Naggar M, El Deeb A, Khaled H, Mokhtar N
- Issue date: 2000 Dec 1
- Short duration neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy for advanced carcinoma of the cervix: results and prognostic variables.
- Authors: Seoud M, Geara FB, Shamseddine A, Salem Z, Khalil A
- Issue date: 2003