CCR1 chemokine receptor expression isolates erythroid from granulocyte-macrophage progenitors.
AuthorsDe Wynter, Erika A
Heyworth, Clare M
Testa, Nydia G
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSimple methods that separate progenitor cells of different hemopoietic lineages would facilitate studies on lineage commitment and differentiation. We used an antibody specific for the chemokine receptor CCR1 to examine mononuclear cells isolated from cord blood samples. When CD34(+) cells were separated into CD34(+)CCR1(+) and CD34(+)CCR1(-) cells and plated in colony-forming assays, the granulocyte/macrophage progenitors were found almost exclusively in the CD34(+)CCR1(+) cells. In contrast, the CD34(+)CCR1(-) cells contained the majority of the erythroid progenitors. There was a highly significant difference (P<0.002) in the total percentage distribution of both granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming cells and erythroid burst-forming units between the two populations. This is the first report of separation of erythroid progenitors from granulocyte/macrophage progenitors using a chemokine receptor antibody in cord blood samples. These results suggest that at the clonogenic progenitor cell stage the expression of CCR1 might be lineage-specific. This method should prove useful for studies on erythroid progenitor and granulocyte/macrophage differentiation.
CitationCCR1 chemokine receptor expression isolates erythroid from granulocyte-macrophage progenitors. 2001, 70 (3):455-60 J. Leukoc. Biol.
JournalJournal of Leukocyte Biology
- Differential response of CD34+ cells isolated from cord blood and bone marrow to MIP-1 alpha and the expression of MIP-1 alpha receptors on these immature cells.
- Authors: de Wynter EA, Durig J, Cross MA, Heyworth CM, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1998
- Inhibition of immature erythroid progenitor cell proliferation by macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha by interacting mainly with a C-C chemokine receptor, CCR1.
- Authors: Su S, Mukaida N, Wang J, Zhang Y, Takami A, Nakao S, Matsushima K
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 15
- Separation of myeloid and erythroid progenitors based on expression of CD34 and c-kit.
- Authors: De Jong MO, Wagemaker G, Wognum AW
- Issue date: 1995 Dec 1
- Proliferation of individual hematopoietic progenitors purified from umbilical cord blood.
- Authors: Mayani H, Lansdorp PM
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Unicellular-unilineage erythropoietic cultures: molecular analysis of regulatory gene expression at sibling cell level.
- Authors: Ziegler BL, Müller R, Valtieri M, Lamping CP, Thomas CA, Gabbianelli M, Giesert C, Bühring HJ, Kanz L, Peschle C
- Issue date: 1999 May 15