Antibodies to Epstein-Barr virus thymidine kinase: a characteristic marker for the serological detection of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
Stacey, Simon N
Arrand, John R
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie CRC Research Centre, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients suffering from nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) generally exhibit elevated serum IgA antibody titres to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) early antigen (EA) and virus capsid antigen (VCA). This property is frequently used as a diagnostic aid. Preliminary experiments suggested that an ELISA for IgA antibodies against the EBV-encoded thymidine kinase (TK) could form the basis of a more reliable diagnostic test. Here, we describe the construction of a recombinant baculovirus that expresses the EBV TK and present a full analysis of its use in serological surveys of NPC patients. Baculovirus-derived TK was used to develop a simple ELISA for serum IgA against this antigen. ELISA reactivity was strongly associated with NPC compared with an EBV-positive, normal control population. Comparison with the existing IgA-VCA and EA assays showed that the TK ELISA had higher sensitivity whilst the specificity was similar or higher. We conclude that the TK ELISA presents a strong predictor of NPC and, in its refined form, has improved pickup rates. In addition, results from patients with chronic nasopharyngitis (CNP) suggest that individuals with both symptoms of CNP and an elevated TK ELISA value may be at increased risk for the development of head-and-neck cancer.
CitationAntibodies to Epstein-Barr virus thymidine kinase: a characteristic marker for the serological detection of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. 2001, 91 (5):692-7 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer.
- Native early antigen of Epstein-Barr virus, a promising antigen for diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Paramita DK, Fachiroh J, Artama WT, van Benthem E, Haryana SM, Middeldorp JM
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Chemokine CCL27 is a novel plasma biomarker for identification the nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients from the Epstein-Barr virus capsid antigen-specific IgA seropositive population.
- Authors: Mao MJ, Xue N, Wang XP, Chi PD, Liu YJ, Huang Q, Dai SQ, Liu WL
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 2
- Single-assay combination of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) EBNA1- and viral capsid antigen-p18-derived synthetic peptides for measuring anti-EBV immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgA antibody levels in sera from nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients: options for field screening.
- Authors: Fachiroh J, Paramita DK, Hariwiyanto B, Harijadi A, Dahlia HL, Indrasari SR, Kusumo H, Zeng YS, Schouten T, Mubarika S, Middeldorp JM
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Expression of EBV antibody EA-IgA, Rta-IgG and VCA-IgA and SA in serum and the implication of combined assay in nasopharyngeal carcinoma diagnosis.
- Authors: Xia C, Zhu K, Zheng G
- Issue date: 2015
- Comparison of plasma Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) DNA levels and serum EBV immunoglobulin A/virus capsid antigen antibody titers in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Shao JY, Li YH, Gao HY, Wu QL, Cui NJ, Zhang L, Cheng G, Hu LF, Ernberg I, Zeng YX
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 15