Blockade of growth factor receptors in ductal carcinoma in situ inhibits epithelial proliferation.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) expresses c-erbB-2 receptor and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). The aim of this study was to determine whether blocking of c-erbB-2 receptor with a humanized monoclonal antibody, 4D5 (HerceptinTM), or of EGFR with an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor (EGFR-TKI), ZD1839 (IressaTM), would decrease epithelial proliferation in DCIS. METHODS: DCIS tissue from 18 women undergoing surgery was implanted into 16 to 20 athymic nude mice per experiment (eight xenografts per mouse). Treatment commenced 2 weeks after implantation and consisted either of twice-weekly intraperitoneal injections of 4D5 10 mg/kg or of daily gavage with ZD1839 at 100-200 mg/kg for 14 days; appropriate controls were included. Xenografts were removed on days 14, 21 and 28. Proliferation was assessed by counting 1000 epithelial cells after Ki67 immuno- staining. RESULTS: ZD1839 inhibited proliferation compared with that in controls after 14 days (P < 0.01), whereas 4D5 did not. CONCLUSION: Proliferation in DCIS was decreased by EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibition but not by c-erbB-2 receptor blockade. ZD1839, an orally active and selective EGFR-TKI, has potential as adjuvant therapy in DCIS.
CitationBlockade of growth factor receptors in ductal carcinoma in situ inhibits epithelial proliferation. 2001, 88 (3):412-8 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Surgery
- Effect of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibition on epithelial proliferation in normal and premalignant breast.
- Authors: Chan KC, Knox WF, Gee JM, Morris J, Nicholson RI, Potten CS, Bundred NJ
- Issue date: 2002 Jan 1
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (HER1) tyrosine kinase inhibitor ZD1839 (Iressa) inhibits HER2/neu (erbB2)-overexpressing breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo.
- Authors: Moulder SL, Yakes FM, Muthuswamy SK, Bianco R, Simpson JF, Arteaga CL
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 15
- Studies of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition in breast cancer.
- Authors: Bundred NJ, Chan K, Anderson NG
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Efficacy of cytotoxic agents against human tumor xenografts is markedly enhanced by coadministration of ZD1839 (Iressa), an inhibitor of EGFR tyrosine kinase.
- Authors: Sirotnak FM, Zakowski MF, Miller VA, Scher HI, Kris MG
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Short preoperative treatment with erlotinib inhibits tumor cell proliferation in hormone receptor-positive breast cancers.
- Authors: Guix M, Granja Nde M, Meszoely I, Adkins TB, Wieman BM, Frierson KE, Sanchez V, Sanders ME, Grau AM, Mayer IA, Pestano G, Shyr Y, Muthuswamy S, Calvo B, Krontiras H, Krop IE, Kelley MC, Arteaga CL
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 20