NOD/SCID repopulating cells but not LTC-IC are enriched in human CD34+ cells expressing the CCR1 chemokine receptor.
AffiliationCRC Experimental Haematology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman haemopoietic stem and progenitor cells may be distinguished by the pattern of cell surface markers they display. The cells defined as 'stem' cells are heterogeneous and lack specific markers for their detection. However, they may be identified in in vitro assays such as the long-term culture initiating cell (LTC-IC) and in transplant assays involving immunosuppressed NOD/SCID mice. It is still not clear to what extent, if any, these cell populations overlap. The chemokine macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha (MIP-1alpha) prolongs survival of LTC-IC in suspension cultures and we now show that in longterm bone marrow cultures (LTBMC) maintenance of haemopoiesis was significantly better from the CD34+ cells which possess MIP-1alpha receptors (P < 0.006). We examined one MIP-1alpha receptor, CCR1, which is present on CD34+ cells from haemopoietic tissues. In LTBMC the production of GM-CFC from CD34+CCR1- cells was significantly higher (P < 0.02) than that from CD34+CCR1+ cultures and the incidence of LTC-IC was 3- to 6-fold higher in the CD34+CCR1- cell fraction. In contrast, the cells responsible for high levels of engraftment in NOD/SCID mice were contained in the CD34+CCR1+ cell fraction. The CD34+CCR1+ cells engrafted to high levels in NOD/SCID and generated large numbers of progenitor cells. Therefore, we conclude that LTC-IC and SRC may be distinguished on the basis of expression of the chemokine receptor CCR1.
CitationNOD/SCID repopulating cells but not LTC-IC are enriched in human CD34+ cells expressing the CCR1 chemokine receptor. 2001, 15 (7):1092-101 Leukemia
- In vitro and in vivo evidence for the long-term multilineage (myeloid, B, NK, and T) reconstitution capacity of ex vivo expanded human CD34(+) cord blood cells.
- Authors: Kobari L, Pflumio F, Giarratana M, Li X, Titeux M, Izac B, Leteurtre F, Coulombel L, Douay L
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Phenotype and function of human hematopoietic cells engrafting immune-deficient CB17-severe combined immunodeficiency mice and nonobese diabetic-severe combined immunodeficiency mice after transplantation of human cord blood mononuclear cells.
- Authors: Pflumio F, Izac B, Katz A, Shultz LD, Vainchenker W, Coulombel L
- Issue date: 1996 Nov 15
- Inhibition of immature erythroid progenitor cell proliferation by macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha by interacting mainly with a C-C chemokine receptor, CCR1.
- Authors: Su S, Mukaida N, Wang J, Zhang Y, Takami A, Nakao S, Matsushima K
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 15
- Differential kinetics of primitive hematopoietic cells assayed in vitro and in vivo during serum-free suspension culture of CD34+ blood progenitor cells.
- Authors: Möbest D, Goan SR, Junghahn I, Winkler J, Fichtner I, Hermann M, Becker M, de Lima-Hahn E, Henschler R
- Issue date: 1999
- Differential maintenance of primitive human SCID-repopulating cells, clonogenic progenitors, and long-term culture-initiating cells after incubation on human bone marrow stromal cells.
- Authors: Gan OI, Murdoch B, Larochelle A, Dick JE
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 15