The nucleoporin Nup153 is required for nuclear pore basket formation, nuclear pore complex anchoring and import of a subset of nuclear proteins.
AuthorsWalther, Tobias C
Goldberg, Martin W
Allen, Terence D
Mattaj, Iain W
AffiliationEuropean Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, D-69117 Heidelberg, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe nuclear pore complex (NPC) is a large proteinaceous structure through which bidirectional transport of macromolecules across the nuclear envelope (NE) takes place. Nup153 is a peripheral NPC component that has been implicated in protein and RNP transport and in the interaction of NPCs with the nuclear lamina. Here, Nup153 is localized by immunogold electron microscopy to a position on the nuclear ring of the NPC. Nuclear reconstitution is used to investigate the role of Nup153 in nucleo- cytoplasmic transport and NPC architecture. NPCs assembled in the absence of Nup153 lacked several nuclear basket components, were unevenly distributed in the NE and, unlike wild-type NPCs, were mobile within the NE. Importin alpha/beta-mediated protein import into the nucleus was strongly reduced in the absence of Nup153, while transportin-mediated import was unaffected. This was due to a reduction in import complex translocation rather than to defective receptor recycling. Our results therefore reveal functions for Nup153 in NPC assembly, in anchoring NPCs within the NE and in mediating specific nuclear import events.
CitationThe nucleoporin Nup153 is required for nuclear pore basket formation, nuclear pore complex anchoring and import of a subset of nuclear proteins. 2001, 20 (20):5703-14 EMBO J.
JournalThe EMBO Journal
- Nuclear protein import is reduced in cells expressing nuclear envelopathy-causing lamin A mutants.
- Authors: Busch A, Kiel T, Heupel WM, Wehnert M, Hübner S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 15
- Recombinant Nup153 incorporates in vivo into Xenopus oocyte nuclear pore complexes.
- Authors: Panté N, Thomas F, Aebi U, Burke B, Bastos R
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Mediators of nuclear protein import target karyophilic proteins to pore complexes of cytoplasmic annulate lamellae.
- Authors: Cordes VC, Rackwitz HR, Reidenbach S
- Issue date: 1997 Dec 15
- RanGTP mediates nuclear pore complex assembly.
- Authors: Walther TC, Askjaer P, Gentzel M, Habermann A, Griffiths G, Wilm M, Mattaj IW, Hetzer M
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 7
- The nucleoporin Nup153 maintains nuclear envelope architecture and is required for cell migration in tumor cells.
- Authors: Zhou L, Panté N
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 16