AffiliationCRC Drug Development Group and CRC Radiochemical Targeting and Imaging Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, M20 4BX, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA high-yielding, two-step stereoselective synthesis of the anticancer drug (Z)-combretastatin A-4 (1) has been devised. The method uses the Perkin condensation of 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenylacetic acid and 3-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzaldehyde followed by decarboxylation of the cinnamic acid intermediate using copper and quinoline. The iodine-catalyzed isomerization of the Z isomer 1 results in complete conversion to the E isomer. The Suzuki cross-coupling of an aryl boronic acid and vinyl bromide has also been successfully employed to produce both Z and E isomers of combretastatin A-4 stereoselectively. Both methods are far superior to the current five-step Wittig synthesis in which both isomers are produced nonstereoselectively.
CitationNovel syntheses of cis and trans isomers of combretastatin A-4. 2001, 66 (24):8135-8 J. Org. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of vinylogous combretastatin A-4 derivatives.
- Authors: Kaffy J, Pontikis R, Florent JC, Monneret C
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 21
- Antineoplastic agents 393. Synthesis of the trans-isomer of combretastatin A-4 prodrug.
- Authors: Pettit GR, Rhodes MR, Herald DL, Chaplin DJ, Stratford MR, Hamel E, Pettit RK, Chapuis JC, Oliva D
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Antineoplastic agents 389. New syntheses of the combretastatin A-4 prodrug.
- Authors: Pettit GR, Rhodes MR
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Antineoplastic agents 429. Syntheses of the combretastatin A-1 and combretastatin B-1 prodrugs.
- Authors: Pettit GR, Lippert JW 3rd
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Antineoplastic agents. 509: synthesis of fluorcombstatin phosphate and related 3-halostilbenes(1).
- Authors: Pettit GR, Minardi MD, Rosenberg HJ, Hamel E, Bibby MC, Martin SW, Jung MK, Pettit RK, Cuthbertson TJ, Chapuis JC
- Issue date: 2005 Oct