AffiliationCancer Research Campaign, Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeparan sulfate (HS) is a long unbranched polysaccharide found covalently attached to various proteins at the cell surface and in the extracellular matrix. It plays a central role in embryonic development and cellular function by modulating the activities of an extensive range of growth factors and morphogens. HS 2-O-sulfotransferase (Hs2st) occupies a critical position in the succession of enzymes responsible for the biosynthesis of HS, catalysing the transfer of sulfate to the C2-position of selected hexuronic acid residues within the nascent HS chain. Previous studies have concluded that 2-O-sulfation of HS is essential for it to cooperate in many growth factor/receptor interactions. Surprisingly therefore, embryos lacking functional Hs2st survive until birth, but die perinatally, suffering complete failure to form kidneys. However, this rather late lethality belies a more intricate involvement of 2-O-sulfated HS during development. The purpose of this review is to summarise the requirements for 2-O-sulfated HS during mouse development, at the morphological and molecular level. The implications that altered HS structure may have on growth factor/receptor signalling in vivo will be discussed.
CitationRole of heparan sulfate-2-O-sulfotransferase in the mouse. 2002, 1573 (3):319-27 Biochim. Biophys. Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Heparan sulfate 2-O-sulfotransferase (Hs2st) and mouse development.
- Authors: Wilson VA, Gallagher JT, Merry CL
- Issue date: 2002 May-Jun
- 2-O Heparan Sulfate Sulfation by Hs2st Is Required for Erk/Mapk Signalling Activation at the Mid-Gestational Mouse Telencephalic Midline.
- Authors: Chan WK, Howe K, Clegg JM, Guimond SE, Price DJ, Turnbull JE, Pratt T
- Issue date: 2015
- The molecular phenotype of heparan sulfate in the Hs2st-/- mutant mouse.
- Authors: Merry CL, Bullock SL, Swan DC, Backen AC, Lyon M, Beddington RS, Wilson VA, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 2001 Sep 21
- Heparan Sulfate Sulfation by Hs2st Restricts Astroglial Precursor Somal Translocation in Developing Mouse Forebrain by a Non-Cell-Autonomous Mechanism.
- Authors: Clegg JM, Parkin HM, Mason JO, Pratt T
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 20
- Analysis of Drosophila glucuronyl C5-epimerase: implications for developmental roles of heparan sulfate sulfation compensation and 2-O-sulfated glucuronic acid.
- Authors: Dejima K, Takemura M, Nakato E, Peterson J, Hayashi Y, Kinoshita-Toyoda A, Toyoda H, Nakato H
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 29