O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase: role in carcinogenesis and chemotherapy.
AffiliationCRC Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe DNA in human cells is continuously undergoing damage as consequences of both endogenous processes and exposure to exogenous agents. The resulting structural changes can be repaired by a number of systems that function to preserve genome integrity. Most pathways are multicomponent, involving incision in the damaged DNA strand and resynthesis using the undamaged strand as a template. In contrast, O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase is able to act as a single protein that reverses specific types of alkylation damage simply by removing the offending alkyl group, which becomes covalently attached to the protein and inactivates it. The types of damage that ATase repairs are potentially toxic, mutagenic, recombinogenic and clastogenic. They are generated by certain classes of carcinogenic and chemotherapeutic alkylating agents. There is consequently a great deal of interest in this repair system in relation to both carcinogenesis and cancer chemotherapy.
CitationO6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase: role in carcinogenesis and chemotherapy. 2002, 24 (3):255-66 Bioessays
- MGMT: key node in the battle against genotoxicity, carcinogenicity and apoptosis induced by alkylating agents.
- Authors: Kaina B, Christmann M, Naumann S, Roos WP
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 1
- DNA adducts and the mechanism of carcinogenesis and cytotoxicity of methylating agents of environmental and clinical significance.
- Authors: Kyrtopoulos SA, Anderson LM, Chhabra SK, Souliotis VL, Pletsa V, Valavanis C, Georgiadis P
- Issue date: 1997
- Glial cell-specific differences in repair of O6-methylguanine.
- Authors: LeDoux SP, Williams BA, Hollensworth BS, Shen C, Thomale J, Rajewsky MF, Brent TP, Wilson GL
- Issue date: 1996 Dec 15
- Variability and regulation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Margison GP, Povey AC, Kaina B, Santibáñez Koref MF
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Mammalian O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase: regulation and importance in response to alkylating carcinogenic and therapeutic agents.
- Authors: Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1990 Oct 1