Investigation of dose homogeneity in paediatric anthropomorphic phantoms for a simple total body irradiation technique.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe technique for treating total body irradiation patients used at the centre involves no compensation for the inhomogeneity of patient shape. Dose is prescribed to the lung, and monitor units are derived from standard data depending on the external dimensions of the patient at nipple level. Dose measurements were made during standard treatments on three paediatric anthropomorphic phantoms representing children of 5, 10 and 15 years of age. The results confirmed that the measured dose to the lung was within 4% of the prescribed dose, and dose homogeneity was within +/- 5%, excluding the neck, where the higher measured doses were still within tissue tolerance.
CitationInvestigation of dose homogeneity in paediatric anthropomorphic phantoms for a simple total body irradiation technique. 2000, 73 (867):317-21 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Dosimetry in translation total body irradiation technique: a computer treatment planning approach and an experimental study concerning lung sparing.
- Authors: Zabatis Ch, Koligliatis T, Xenofos S, Pistevou K, Psarakos K, Haritanti A, Beroukas K
- Issue date: 2008 Apr-Jun
- [Study on radiation dose estimation and monitor in TBI using an anthropomorphic phantom].
- Authors: Zhou YB, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- In vivo dosimetry with semiconducting diodes for dose verification in total-body irradiation. A 10-year experience.
- Authors: Ramm U, Licher J, Moog J, Scherf C, Kara E, Böttcher HD, Rödel C, Mose S
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Whole-body voxel phantoms of paediatric patients--UF Series B.
- Authors: Lee C, Lee C, Williams JL, Bolch WE
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 21
- Total body irradiation, toward optimal individual delivery: dose evaluation with metal oxide field effect transistors, thermoluminescence detectors, and a treatment planning system.
- Authors: Bloemen-van Gurp EJ, Mijnheer BJ, Verschueren TA, Lambin P
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15