Calibration of pre-cut iridium-192 wires for low dose rate interstitial brachytherapy using a Farmer-type ionization chamber.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA technique, originally developed for calibrating small low activity caesium sources, which uses a Farmer-type ionization chamber, has been further developed for use with iridium wires. Correction factors have been generated to account for the finite source and detector sizes, and attenuation in the source carriers. The air kerma calibration factor for heavily filtered 280 kV X-rays was used for reference back to the National Standard. The results of this calibration method have been compared with the calibration figures given by the manufacturers over a 5 year period for the emissions from 50 batches of wires of varying strengths. Agreement to within +/- 3.2% was achieved in all cases, establishing that the method is satisfactory for acceptance testing purposes. The mean agreement was good to within 0.2%, but the possibility of a systematic error of between 1% and 3% existing both in this method and in the method used by the manufacturer is discussed.
CitationCalibration of pre-cut iridium-192 wires for low dose rate interstitial brachytherapy using a Farmer-type ionization chamber. 2000, 73 (866):201-5 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Comments on the calibration of pre-cut iridium-192 wires for low dose rate interstitial brachytherapy using a farmer-type ionization chamber.
- Authors: Plane JH
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Comparison of 192Ir air kerma calibration coefficients derived at ARPANSA using the interpolation method and at the National Physical Laboratory using a direct measurement.
- Authors: Butler D, Haworth A, Sander T, Todd S
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- A technique for calibrating a high dose rate ¹⁹²Ir brachytherapy source.
- Authors: Fourie OL, Crabtree TG
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Determination of the reference air kerma rate for 192Ir brachytherapy sources and the related uncertainty.
- Authors: van Dijk E, Kolkman-Deurloo IK, Damen PM
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- A practical implementation of the 2010 IPEM high dose rate brachytherapy code of practice for the calibration of 192Ir sources.
- Authors: Awunor OA, Lecomber AR, Richmond N, Walker C
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 21