Issues in applying multi-arm multi-stage methodology to a clinical trial in prostate cancer: the MRC STAMPEDE trial.
AuthorsSydes, Matthew R
Parmar, Mahesh K B
James, Nicholas D
Clarke, Noel W
Dearnaley, David P
Mason, Malcolm D
Morgan, Rachel C
AffiliationMRC Clinical Trials Unit, London, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The multi-arm multi-stage (MAMS) trial is a new paradigm for conducting randomised controlled trials that allows the simultaneous assessment of a number of research treatments against a single control arm. MAMS trials provide earlier answers and are potentially more cost-effective than a series of traditionally designed trials. Prostate cancer is the most common tumour in men and there is a need to improve outcomes for men with hormone-sensitive, advanced disease as quickly as possible. The MAMS design will potentially facilitate evaluation and testing of new therapies in this and other diseases. METHODS: STAMPEDE is an open-label, 5-stage, 6-arm randomised controlled trial using MAMS methodology for men with prostate cancer. It is the first trial of this design to use multiple arms and stages synchronously. RESULTS: The practical and statistical issues faced by STAMPEDE in implementing MAMS methodology are discussed and contrasted with those for traditional trials. These issues include the choice of intermediate and final outcome measures, sample size calculations and the impact of varying the assumptions, the process for moving between trial stages, stopping accrual to each trial arm and overall, and issues around perceived trial complexity. CONCLUSION: It is possible to use the MAMS design to initiate and undertake large scale cancer trials. The results from STAMPEDE will not be known for some years but the lessons learned from running a MAMS trial are shared in the hope that other researchers will use this exciting and efficient method to perform further randomised controlled trials. TRIAL REGISTRATION: ISRCTN78818544, NCT00268476.
CitationIssues in applying multi-arm multi-stage methodology to a clinical trial in prostate cancer: the MRC STAMPEDE trial. 2009, 10:39 Trials
- Flexible trial design in practice - stopping arms for lack-of-benefit and adding research arms mid-trial in STAMPEDE: a multi-arm multi-stage randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Sydes MR, Parmar MK, Mason MD, Clarke NW, Amos C, Anderson J, de Bono J, Dearnaley DP, Dwyer J, Green C, Jovic G, Ritchie AW, Russell JM, Sanders K, Thalmann G, James ND
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 15
- Celecoxib plus hormone therapy versus hormone therapy alone for hormone-sensitive prostate cancer: first results from the STAMPEDE multiarm, multistage, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: James ND, Sydes MR, Mason MD, Clarke NW, Anderson J, Dearnaley DP, Dwyer J, Jovic G, Ritchie AW, Russell JM, Sanders K, Thalmann GN, Bertelli G, Birtle AJ, O'Sullivan JM, Protheroe A, Sheehan D, Srihari N, Parmar MK, STAMPEDE investigators.
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Addition of docetaxel, zoledronic acid, or both to first-line long-term hormone therapy in prostate cancer (STAMPEDE): survival results from an adaptive, multiarm, multistage, platform randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: James ND, Sydes MR, Clarke NW, Mason MD, Dearnaley DP, Spears MR, Ritchie AW, Parker CC, Russell JM, Attard G, de Bono J, Cross W, Jones RJ, Thalmann G, Amos C, Matheson D, Millman R, Alzouebi M, Beesley S, Birtle AJ, Brock S, Cathomas R, Chakraborti P, Chowdhury S, Cook A, Elliott T, Gale J, Gibbs S, Graham JD, Hetherington J, Hughes R, Laing R, McKinna F, McLaren DB, O'Sullivan JM, Parikh O, Peedell C, Protheroe A, Robinson AJ, Srihari N, Srinivasan R, Staffurth J, Sundar S, Tolan S, Tsang D, Wagstaff J, Parmar MK, STAMPEDE investigators.
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 19
- Systemic therapy for advancing or metastatic prostate cancer (STAMPEDE): a multi-arm, multistage randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: James ND, Sydes MR, Clarke NW, Mason MD, Dearnaley DP, Anderson J, Popert RJ, Sanders K, Morgan RC, Stansfeld J, Dwyer J, Masters J, Parmar MK
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Survival with Newly Diagnosed Metastatic Prostate Cancer in the "Docetaxel Era": Data from 917 Patients in the Control Arm of the STAMPEDE Trial (MRC PR08, CRUK/06/019).
- Authors: James ND, Spears MR, Clarke NW, Dearnaley DP, De Bono JS, Gale J, Hetherington J, Hoskin PJ, Jones RJ, Laing R, Lester JF, McLaren D, Parker CC, Parmar MKB, Ritchie AWS, Russell JM, Strebel RT, Thalmann GN, Mason MD, Sydes MR
- Issue date: 2015 Jun