ERS/ESTS clinical guidelines on fitness for radical therapy in lung cancer patients (surgery and chemo-radiotherapy).
Bolliger, C T
Ferguson, M K
Huber, R M
Clini, E M
De Ruysscher, Dirk
AffiliationDivision of Thoracic Surgery, Umberto I Regional Hospital, Ancona, Italy. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA collaboration of multidisciplinary experts on the functional evaluation of lung cancer patients has been facilitated by the European Respiratory Society (ERS) and the European Society of Thoracic Surgery (ESTS), in order to draw up recommendations and provide clinicians with clear, up-to-date guidelines on fitness for surgery and chemo-radiotherapy. The subject was divided into different topics, which were then assigned to at least two experts. The authors searched the literature according to their own strategies, with no central literature review being performed. The draft reports written by the experts on each topic were reviewed, discussed and voted on by the entire expert panel. The evidence supporting each recommendation was summarised, and graded as described by the Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network Grading Review Group. Clinical practice guidelines were generated and finalized in a functional algorithm for risk stratification of the lung resection candidates, emphasising cardiological evaluation, forced expiratory volume in 1 s, systematic carbon monoxide lung diffusion capacity and exercise testing. Contrary to lung resection, for which the scientific evidences are more robust, we were unable to recommend any specific test, cut-off value, or algorithm before chemo-radiotherapy due to the lack of data. We recommend that lung cancer patients should be managed in specialised settings by multidisciplinary teams.
CitationERS/ESTS clinical guidelines on fitness for radical therapy in lung cancer patients (surgery and chemo-radiotherapy). 2009, 34 (1):17-41 Eur. Respir. J.
JournalThe European Respiratory Journal
- The European Respiratory Society and European Society of Thoracic Surgeons clinical guidelines for evaluating fitness for radical treatment (surgery and chemoradiotherapy) in patients with lung cancer.
- Authors: Brunelli A, Charloux A, Bolliger CT, Rocco G, Sculier JP, Varela G, Licker M, Ferguson MK, Faivre-Finn C, Huber RM, Clini EM, Win T, De Ruysscher D, Goldman L, European Respiratory Society., European Society of Thoracic Surgeons Joint Task Force on Fitness For Radical Therapy.
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- [Functional evaluation before lung resection for cancer--international recommendations].
- Authors: Ioniţă D, Stroescu C
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Sep
- [Preoperative estimation of the risk of lung resection].
- Authors: Cilleruelo Ramos A, Martínez Barenys C, Paradela de la Morena M, Varela G
- Issue date: 2011
- Lung function evaluation before surgery in lung cancer patients: how are recent advances put into practice? A survey among members of the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS) and of the Thoracic Oncology Section of the European Respiratory Society (ERS).
- Authors: Charloux A, Brunelli A, Bolliger CT, Rocco G, Sculier JP, Varela G, Licker M, Ferguson MK, Faivre-Finn C, Huber RM, Clini EM, Win T, De Ruysscher D, Goldman L, European Respiratory Society and European Society of Thoracic Surgeons Joint Task Force on Fitness for Radical Therapy.
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- What the pulmonary specialist should know about the new inhalation therapies.
- Authors: Laube BL, Janssens HM, de Jongh FH, Devadason SG, Dhand R, Diot P, Everard ML, Horvath I, Navalesi P, Voshaar T, Chrystyn H, European Respiratory Society., International Society for Aerosols in Medicine.
- Issue date: 2011 Jun