The European Respiratory Society and European Society of Thoracic Surgeons clinical guidelines for evaluating fitness for radical treatment (surgery and chemoradiotherapy) in patients with lung cancer.
Bolliger, Chris T
Ferguson, Mark K
Huber, Rudolf Maria
Clini, Enrico M
De Ruysscher, Dirk
AffiliationDivision of Thoracic Surgery, Umberto I Regional Hospital, Ancona, Italy. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe European Respiratory Society (ERS) and the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS) established a joint task force with the purpose to develop clinical evidence-based guidelines on evaluation of fitness for radical therapy in patients with lung cancer. The following topics were discussed, and are summarized in the final report along with graded recommendations: Cardiologic evaluation before lung resection; lung function tests and exercise tests (limitations of ppoFEV1; DLCO: systematic or selective?; split function studies; exercise tests: systematic; low-tech exercise tests; cardiopulmonary (high tech) exercise tests); future trends in preoperative work-up; physiotherapy/rehabilitation and smoking cessation; scoring systems; advanced care management (ICU/HDU); quality of life in patients submitted to radical treatment; combined cancer surgery and lung volume reduction surgery; compromised parenchymal sparing resections and minimally invasive techniques: the balance between oncological radicality and functional reserve; neoadjuvant chemotherapy and complications; definitive chemo and radiotherapy: functional selection criteria and definition of risk; should surgical criteria be re-calibrated for radiotherapy?; the patient at prohibitive surgical risk: alternatives to surgery; who should treat thoracic patients and where these patients should be treated?
CitationThe European Respiratory Society and European Society of Thoracic Surgeons clinical guidelines for evaluating fitness for radical treatment (surgery and chemoradiotherapy) in patients with lung cancer. 2009, 36 (1):181-4 Eur J Cardiothorac Surg
JournalEuropean Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- [Functional evaluation before lung resection for cancer--international recommendations].
- Authors: Ioniţă D, Stroescu C
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Sep
- Lung function evaluation before surgery in lung cancer patients: how are recent advances put into practice? A survey among members of the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS) and of the Thoracic Oncology Section of the European Respiratory Society (ERS).
- Authors: Charloux A, Brunelli A, Bolliger CT, Rocco G, Sculier JP, Varela G, Licker M, Ferguson MK, Faivre-Finn C, Huber RM, Clini EM, Win T, De Ruysscher D, Goldman L, European Respiratory Society and European Society of Thoracic Surgeons Joint Task Force on Fitness for Radical Therapy
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Preoperative evaluation and risk factors of lung cancer.
- Authors: Gaballo A, Corbo GM, Valente S, Ciappi G
- Issue date: 2004 Oct-Dec
- Preoperative evaluation of the lung resection candidate.
- Authors: Mazzone P
- Issue date: 2012 May
- [Lung cancer in elderly patients: lung cancer and lung function].
- Authors: Tanita T
- Issue date: 2005 Jul