Predicting the myelotoxicity of chemotherapy: the use of pretreatment O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase determination in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
Clamp, Andrew R
Lorigan, Paul C
Margison, Geoffrey P
Middleton, Mark R
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo assess the value of pretreatment O-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) in predicting haematological toxicity with O-alkylating agent chemotherapy, we explored this relationship retrospectively in melanoma patients. Ninety-three patients treated with temozolomide or dacarbazine in four clinical trials were assessed, and a model of the interaction between MGMT expression and haematological toxicity was constructed. Nadir white-cell and platelet counts were related to, and hence could be predicted from, pretreatment MGMT. Leucopenia and thrombocytopenia were more prevalent amongst patients with low pretreatment MGMT, according to the highest grades of toxicity experienced and/or the dose intensity patients could sustain. Addition of interferon to chemotherapy or compression of the temozolomide schedule increased the toxicity. The model also predicts significant myelotoxicity where PBMC MGMT is inactivated, consistent with the experience in the clinic with lomeguatrib and O-benzylguanine. Determination of MGMT in PBMC can identify patients at greatest risk of toxicity or who are suitable for dose intensification.
CitationPredicting the myelotoxicity of chemotherapy: the use of pretreatment O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase determination in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Melanoma Res. 2011 Dec;21(6):502-8
- O6-methylguanine formation, repair protein depletion and clinical outcome with a 4 hr schedule of temozolomide in the treatment of advanced melanoma: results of a phase II study.
- Authors: Middleton MR, Lee SM, Arance A, Wood M, Thatcher N, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 1
- O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase in pretreatment tumour biopsies as a predictor of response to temozolomide in melanoma.
- Authors: Middleton MR, Lunn JM, Morris C, Rustin G, Wedge SR, Brampton MH, Lind MJ, Lee SM, Newell DR, Bleehen NM, Newlands ES, Calvert AH, Margison GP, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Prognostic significance of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase protein expression in patients with recurrent glioblastoma treated with temozolomide.
- Authors: Nagane M, Kobayashi K, Ohnishi A, Shimizu S, Shiokawa Y
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Inhibition of DNA repair with MGMT pseudosubstrates: phase I study of lomeguatrib in combination with dacarbazine in patients with advanced melanoma and other solid tumours.
- Authors: Tawbi HA, Villaruz L, Tarhini A, Moschos S, Sulecki M, Viverette F, Shipe-Spotloe J, Radkowski R, Kirkwood JM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 6
- O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase, O6-benzylguanine, and resistance to clinical alkylators in pediatric primary brain tumor cell lines.
- Authors: Bobola MS, Silber JR, Ellenbogen RG, Geyer JR, Blank A, Goff RD
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1