Specific demonstration of drug-induced tumour cell apoptosis in human xenografts models using a plasma biomarker.
AuthorsOlofsson, M Hägg
Hodgkinson, Cassandra L
Dean, Emma J
Wilkinson, Robert W
Mundt, Kirsten E
AffiliationCancer Center Karolinska, Department of Oncology and Pathology, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPharmacodynamic (PD) assays should be used before advancing new drugs to clinical trials. Most PD assays measure the response to drugs in tissue, a procedure which requires tissue biopsies. The M30-Apoptosense ELISA is a PD biomarker assay for the quantitative determination of caspase-cleaved cytokeratin 18 (CK18) released from apoptotic carcinoma cells into blood. We here demonstrate that whereas the M30-Apoptosense ELISA assay detects human caspase-cleaved CK18, the mouse and rat CK18 caspase cleavage products are detected with low affinity. The M30-Apoptosense ELISA therefore facilitates the determination of drug-induced apoptosis in human tumour xenografts in rodents using plasma samples, largely independently from host toxicity. Increases of caspase-cleaved CK18 were observed in plasma from different carcinoma xenograft models in response to anticancer drugs. The appearance caspase-cleaved CK18 in plasma was found to reflect formation of the caspase-cleaved epitope in FaDu head-neck carcinomas and in cultured cells. The M30-Apoptosense assay allows determination of tumour response in blood from xenograft models and from patients, providing a powerful tool for translational studies of anticancer drugs.
CitationSpecific demonstration of drug-induced tumour cell apoptosis in human xenografts models using a plasma biomarker. 2009, 5 (3):117-25 Cancer Biomark
- Utilization of cytokeratin-based biomarkers for pharmacodynamic studies.
- Authors: Linder S, Olofsson MH, Herrmann R, Ulukaya E
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Elevated serum levels of M30 and M65 in patients with locally advanced head and neck tumors.
- Authors: Ozturk B, Coskun U, Sancak B, Yaman E, Buyukberber S, Benekli M
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Caspase-cleaved cytokeratin 18 fragment (M30) as marker of postoperative residual tumor load in colon cancer patients.
- Authors: Ausch C, Buxhofer-Ausch V, Olszewski U, Hinterberger W, Ogris E, Schiessel R, Hamilton G
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Validation of pharmacodynamic assays to evaluate the clinical efficacy of an antisense compound (AEG 35156) targeted to the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein XIAP.
- Authors: Cummings J, Ward TH, LaCasse E, Lefebvre C, St-Jean M, Durkin J, Ranson M, Dive C
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 14
- Antitumor activity of 3,5,4'-trimethoxystilbene in COLO 205 cells and xenografts in SCID mice.
- Authors: Pan MH, Gao JH, Lai CS, Wang YJ, Chen WM, Lo CY, Wang M, Dushenkov S, Ho CT
- Issue date: 2008 Mar