To determine the cytotoxicity of chlorambucil and one of its nitro-derivatives, conjugated to prasterone and pregnenolone, towards eight human cancer cell-lines.
AuthorsShervington, Leroy A
Smith, Nigel K
Ward, Timothy H
Phillips, Roger M
AffiliationSchool of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFour ester prodrugs derived from the bifunctional alkylating agent chlorambucil, and one of its nitro-derivatives, 3-nitrochlorambucil conjugated to prasterone and pregnenolone, were synthesized and tested for their cytotoxic activity against eight human cell lines, using the standard MTT assay. A comparison between the esters and the controls, namely chlorambucil and 3-nitrochlorambucil would suggest that all four esters possess to varying degrees, specificity towards the breast adenocarcinoma cell line (MDA-mb468) than the other seven cells' lines tested. The overall findings are encouraging since it infers that these lipophilic esters not only have the ability to traverse specific cell membranes but also exhibit cytotoxicity towards most of the cell lines tested.
CitationTo determine the cytotoxicity of chlorambucil and one of its nitro-derivatives, conjugated to prasterone and pregnenolone, towards eight human cancer cell-lines. 2009, 44 (7):2944-51 Eur J Med Chem
JournalEuropean Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Two novel nucleoside ester derivatives of chlorambucil as potential antileukemic prodrugs: a preliminary study.
- Authors: Kryczka T, Kazimierczuk Z, Kozłowska M, Chrapusta SJ, Vilpo L, Vilpo J, Stachnik K, Janisz M, Grieb P
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Structure-activity studies of novel amidine analogues of chlorambucil: correlation of cytotoxic activity with DNA-binding affinity and topoisomerase II inhibition.
- Authors: Bielawska A, Bielawski K, Wołczyński S, Anchim T
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Synthesis of D- and L-tyrosine-chlorambucil analogs active against breast cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Descôteaux C, Leblanc V, Brasseur K, Gupta A, Asselin E, Bérubé G
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15
- Synthesis and biophysical characterization of chlorambucil anticancer ether lipid prodrugs.
- Authors: Pedersen PJ, Christensen MS, Ruysschaert T, Linderoth L, Andresen TL, Melander F, Mouritsen OG, Madsen R, Clausen MH
- Issue date: 2009 May 28
- Nitro analogues of chlorambucil as potential hypoxia-selective anti-tumour drugs.
- Authors: Palmer BD, Wilson WR, Denny WA
- Issue date: 1990 Nov