Myofibroblast transformation in metastatic extramedullary chronic myeloid leukemia: a case report.
AffiliationInstitute of Hematology & Blood Diseases Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin, China.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrimary and metastatic carcinomas have a reactive stroma characterized by many myofibroblasts. These cells have also been documented in nonepithelial malignancies, such as sarcomas, malignant melanoma, and lymphoid tumors but in generally far fewer numbers. In non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and leukemia, myofibroblasts are rather rarely documented. In particular, there appear to be no reports of myofibroblasts in either primary bone-marrow/peripheral blood leukemia or secondary deposits of leukemia. In this paper, a case of a relapsed chronic myeloid leukemia appearing in an inguinal lymph node is described, containing many myofibroblasts. The case is detailed and presented with a discussion on the role of myofibroblasts in the progression of nonepithelial cancers.
CitationMyofibroblast transformation in metastatic extramedullary chronic myeloid leukemia: a case report. 2009, 33 (3):136-40 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Ultrastructural characteristics of bone marrow in patients with hematological disease: a study of 13 cases.
- Authors: Ru YX, Zhao SX, Liu EB, Yang QY, Liu JH, Pang TX, Chen HS
- Issue date: 2007 Sep-Oct
- Case report: A large extramedullary granulocytic sarcoma as the initial presenting feature of chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Jenkins CI, Sorour Y
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 25
- The myofibroblast: a study of normal, reactive and neoplastic tissues, with an emphasis on ultrastructure. Part 1--normal and reactive cells.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Chronic myeloid leukemia in accelerated phase with basophilic transformation of the bone marrow.
- Authors: Cunningham MT, Ganguly S
- Issue date: 2006 May
- Extramedullary blast crisis in chronic myeloid leukemia--a case report.
- Authors: Tondon R, Singh PA, Misra V, Singh M, Mohan S
- Issue date: 2005 Apr