Mortality and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein 3 concentrations.
Felix, Stephan B
Brabant, Georg E
AffiliationInstitute for Community Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, D-17487 Greifswald, Germany. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Previous studies provided conflicting results regarding the association of serum IGF-I or IGF-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) and mortality. The aim of this study was to assess the relation of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 levels with mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and cancer in a prospective population-based study. METHODS: From the Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP) 1988 men and 2069 women aged 20-79 yr were followed up on average 8.5 yr. Causes of deaths were coded according to the International Classification of Diseases, 10th revision. Serum IGF-I and IGFBP-3 levels were determined by chemiluminescence immunoassays and categorized into three groups (low, normal, high) according to the sex- and age-specific 10th and 90th percentiles. RESULTS: Adjusted analyses revealed that men with low but not high IGF-I levels had an almost 2-fold higher risk of all-cause mortality [hazard ratio (HR) 1.92 (95% confidence interval [CI] 1.35; 2.73)], CVD mortality [HR 1.92 (95% CI 1.00; 3.71)], and cancer mortality [HR 1.85 (95% CI 1.00; 3.45)] compared with men with normal IGF-I levels. In women, no association between IGF-I and mortality was found. Moreover, low IGFBP-3 levels were associated with higher all-cause mortality in men [HR 1.87 (95% CI 1.31; 2.64)] and women [HR 1.63 (95% CI 0.96; 2.76)]. CONCLUSIONS: The present study found inverse associations between IGF-I or IGFBP-3 levels and mortality from all causes, CVD, or cancer in men and between IGFBP-3 and all-cause mortality in women.
CitationMortality and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding protein 3 concentrations. 2009, 94 (5):1732-9 J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.
JournalThe Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- The association of serum insulin-like growth factor-I with mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer in the elderly: a population-based study.
- Authors: van Bunderen CC, van Nieuwpoort IC, van Schoor NM, Deeg DJ, Lips P, Drent ML
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- The prospective association of serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-1 levels with all cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in older adults: the Rancho Bernardo Study.
- Authors: Laughlin GA, Barrett-Connor E, Criqui MH, Kritz-Silverstein D
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Serum insulin-like growth factor I and its binding protein 3 in their relation to intima-media thickness: results of the study of health in Pomerania (SHIP).
- Authors: Spilcke-Liss E, Friedrich N, Dörr M, Schminke U, Völzke H, Brabant G, Nauck M, Wallaschofski H
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Both low and high serum IGF-I levels associate with cancer mortality in older men.
- Authors: Svensson J, Carlzon D, Petzold M, Karlsson MK, Ljunggren Ö, Tivesten A, Mellström D, Ohlsson C
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and binding protein-3 and the risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Baglietto L, English DR, Hopper JL, Morris HA, Tilley WD, Giles GG
- Issue date: 2007 Apr