Soft-tissue extrarenal rhabdoid tumor with a unique long-term survival.
AffiliationHistopathology Department, St Mary's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRhabdoid tumors of kidney and extrarenal rhabdoid tumors are identified by a round-epithelioid cell morphology and a bland immunophenotype, but a distinctive ultrastructure dominated by paranuclear whorls of intermediate filaments, most usually of vimentin. These tumors are also known to be highly aggressive malignancies, which, typically, bear a poor prognosis, frequently measured in months following initial presentation. The authors record the case a soft-tissue rhabdoid tumor in a 12-year-old boy with a unique long-term survival in excess of 16 years. The features of this case are documented, with a brief summary of histological, immunohistochemical, ultrastructural, and genetic characteristics of this entity.
CitationSoft-tissue extrarenal rhabdoid tumor with a unique long-term survival. 2004, 28 (1):49-52 Ultrastruct Pathol
- "Proximal-type" epithelioid sarcoma, a distinctive aggressive neoplasm showing rhabdoid features. Clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of a series.
- Authors: Guillou L, Wadden C, Coindre JM, Krausz T, Fletcher CD
- Issue date: 1997 Feb
- Mutations of the p53 gene in malignant rhabdoid tumors of soft tissue and the kidney: immunohistochemical and DNA direct sequencing analysis.
- Authors: Kinoshita Y, Shiratsuchi H, Tamiya S, Oshiro Y, Hachitanda Y, Oda Y, Suita S, Tsuneyoshi M
- Issue date: 2001
- Rhabdoid features in leiomyosarcoma of soft tissue: with special reference to aggressive behavior.
- Authors: Oshiro Y, Shiratsuchi H, Oda Y, Toyoshima S, Tsuneyoshi M
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Prognostic significance of dysadherin expression in epithelioid sarcoma and its diagnostic utility in distinguishing epithelioid sarcoma from malignant rhabdoid tumor.
- Authors: Izumi T, Oda Y, Hasegawa T, Nakanishi Y, Iwasaki H, Sonobe H, Goto H, Kusakabe H, Takahira T, Kobayashi C, Kawaguchi K, Saito T, Yamamoto H, Tamiya S, Iwamoto Y, Tsuneyoshi M
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Cutaneous extrarenal rhabdoid tumor with myogenic differentiation.
- Authors: Petitt M, Doeden K, Harris A, Bocklage T
- Issue date: 2005 Nov