Evidence for the presence of active cytochrome P450 systems in Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium adult worms.
AffiliationInstitute for Graduate Studies and Research, University of Alexandria, Chatby 21526, Alexandria, Egypt. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracts of the adult worms of both Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium can metabolise some typical P450 substrates but to differing degrees. S. mansoni worm extracts displayed a approximately 12-fold higher specific activity for an aminopyrine substrate than rat liver microsomes. At 4 mM substrate concentration the demethylation reaction with N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) (5 nmol HCHO/mg protein/min) was only half that of rat liver microsomes, whereas in extracts of S. haematobium, no detectable activity was found towards NDMA. Using ethylmorphine as substrate the demethylation activity of S. mansoni extracts (1.82 nmol HCHO/mg protein/min) was 5.5-fold lower than that of rat liver microsomes. Benzphetamine demethylase activity was also readily detectable in S. mansoni worm extracts at 6.79 nmol HCHO/mg protein/min compared with 10.20 nmol HCHO/mg protein/min in the case of rat liver microsomes. When aniline was used as substrate, surprisingly, no activity was found in worm extracts of either S. mansoni or S. haematobium, whereas rat liver microsomes showed high activity towards this amine. The anti-P450 2E1 and 2B1/2 cross-reacted with both worm homogenates and gave a specific band corresponding to a protein of molecular weight of approximately 50.0 kDa. A study with anti-P450 IVA antibody revealed that while this protein was strongly expressed in S. haematobium worm extracts, no immunoreactivity was observed with extracts of S. mansoni. Immunoblotting analyses with anti-P450 IIIA and P450 1A1 did not detect immunoreactive protein in either S. mansoni or S. haematobium.
CitationEvidence for the presence of active cytochrome P450 systems in Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium adult worms. 2002, 519 (1-3):205-9 FEBS Lett.
- Cytochrome P450-dependent drug oxidation activities in liver microsomes of various animal species including rats, guinea pigs, dogs, monkeys, and humans.
- Authors: Shimada T, Mimura M, Inoue K, Nakamura S, Oda H, Ohmori S, Yamazaki H
- Issue date: 1997
- Biological and biochemical comparative studies on Schistosoma mansoni from two localities in Egypt where S. haematobium is endemic.
- Authors: Khalil SB, Mansour NS, Soliman GN
- Issue date: 1995 Dec
- Cytochromes P450 2B1 and P450 2B2 demethylate N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrosomethylaniline in vitro.
- Authors: Stiborová M, Hansíková H, Frei E
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- Cysteine proteinases from Schistosoma haematobium adult worms.
- Authors: Rege AA, Wang W, Dresden MH
- Issue date: 1992 Feb
- Participation of rat liver cytochrome P450 2E1 in the activation of N-nitrosodimethylamine and N-nitrosodiethylamine to products genotoxic in an acetyltransferase-overexpressing Salmonella typhimurium strain (NM2009).
- Authors: Yamazaki H, Oda Y, Funae Y, Imaoka S, Inui Y, Guengerich FP, Shimada T
- Issue date: 1992 Jun