Characterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer.
AuthorsWoods, Andrew M
Wang, Who W
Shaw, David M
Ward, Christopher M
Carroll, Miles W
Rees, Buddug R
Stern, Peter L
AffiliationCRUK Immunology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman 5T4 oncofoetal antigen defined by the murine 5T4 monoclonal antibody is a highly glycosylated protein expressed by trophoblast and a few specialized adult epithelia. Up-regulation of 5T4 expression in some cancers is associated with poor clinical outcome; overexpression of human 5T4 cDNA in epithelial cells can alter their morphology and motility, supporting a role for such functions in cancer and development. A murine model to study 5T4 biology and tumour immunology would be useful. The production of m5T4-specific antibodies, their use in establishing transfected cells and documenting their biological properties in vitro are described. A rat monoclonal antibody specific for mouse 5T4 molecules by ELISA, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry and immunoprecipitation was isolated and epitope mapped. Similar to its human counterpart, murine 5T4 antigen is a 72 kDa glycoprotein (immunoprecipitation and Western blot analysis) and exhibits punctate cell surface expression, dependent upon the integrity of the actin cytoskeleton. Likewise, overexpression of autologous murine 5T4 by B16 F10 melanoma cells and A9 L fibroblasts accentuates the 5T4 phenotype, which is characterized by a spindle-like morphology, increased motility, and reduced adhesion and proliferation rate. Immunohistochemical analysis of adult mouse tissues shows a restricted pattern of expression similar to that of human 5T4 antigen. The murine 5T4 antigen-expressing cell lines and antibody reagents are now being used to explore novel immunotherapies in pre-clinical models and the biology of 5T4 in development.
CitationCharacterization of the murine 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: a target for immunotherapy in cancer. 2002, 366 (Pt 1):353-65 Biochem. J.
JournalThe Biochemical Journal
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Isolation of a high affinity scFv from a monoclonal antibody recognising the oncofoetal antigen 5T4.
- Authors: Shaw DM, Embleton MJ, Westwater C, Ryan MG, Myers KA, Kingsman SM, Carroll MW, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2000 Dec 15
- Attenuated recombinant vaccinia virus expressing oncofetal antigen (tumor-associated antigen) 5T4 induces active therapy of established tumors.
- Authors: Mulryan K, Ryan MG, Myers KA, Shaw D, Wang W, Kingsman SM, Stern PL, Carroll MW
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- 5T4 oncofoetal antigen: an attractive target for immune intervention in cancer.
- Authors: Stern PL, Harrop R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Glycosylation and epitope mapping of the 5T4 glycoprotein oncofoetal antigen.
- Authors: Shaw DM, Woods AM, Myers KA, Westwater C, Rahi-Saund V, Davies MJ, Renouf DV, Hounsell EF, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2002 Apr 1