Bone marrow toxicity in mice treated with indium-114m-labelled blood cells.
AffiliationCRC Dept. of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractClinical trials with autologous indium-114m-labelled lymphocytes have revealed significant anti-tumour effects in chronic lymphocytic leukaemia patients with highly resistant disease. Substitution of the lymphocyte vector with heat-damaged red blood cells (HDRBC) may make this treatment more universally applicable and reduce the dose-limiting myelosuppression encountered with labelled lymphocytes. Therefore, the bone marrow localization and toxicities of indium-labelled lymphocytes or HDRBC have been investigated in BDFI mice. At 24 hours approximately 4% and 1.2% of 114In(m) administered as labelled lymphocytes or HDRBC respectively was localized within the bone marrow and remained constant for 57 days thereafter. Toxicity towards bone marrow stem cells, measured as CFU-S, was equivalent for both cellular vectors. However, at clinically relevant activities, 114In(m) HDRBC were less toxic than labelled lymphocytes towards committed progenitors, assayed as in vitro-CFC and CFU-Meg. These data suggest that substitution of HDRBC for lymphocytes as the 114In(m) vector may be beneficial in reducing the myelosuppression associated with this technique.
CitationBone marrow toxicity in mice treated with indium-114m-labelled blood cells. 2001, 20 (4):505-10 J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res.
JournalJournal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research
- Spleen-targeted 114In(m) via normal and heat-damaged red cells in the mouse: isotope distribution and bone marrow damage.
- Authors: Jackson H, Jackson NC
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- Autologous lymphocytes as vectors to target therapeutic radiation, using indium-114m, in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy.
- Authors: Cowan RA, Murby B, Gunton D, Owens SE, Hoyes KP, Sharma HL, Smith AM, Chang J, van Kessel B, Nuttall PM, Crowther D
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Treatment of lymphoid cell malignancy with In-114m labelled autologous lymphocytes.
- Authors: Sharma HL, Cowan RA, Murby B, Owens S, Nuttall PM, Gunton D, Smith AM, Chang J, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- [B-lymphocyte regulation of the functional activity of hematopoietic stem cells. I. The effect of activated B-lymphocytes from the murine spleen on the proliferation of syngeneic hematopoietic stem cells of the bone marrow].
- Authors: Man'ko VM, Choladze NV, Guseva OA, Sepiashvili RI, Iarilin AA
- Issue date: 1996
- In vitro and in vivo effects of acetyldinaline on murine megakaryocytopoiesis.
- Authors: Volpe DA, LoRusso PM, Foster BJ, Parchment RE
- Issue date: 2004 Jul