The effect of radiotherapy treatment changes on sites of relapse in stage I testicular seminoma.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmington, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIM: To evaluate relapse patterns in stage I testicular seminoma related to changes in radiotherapy practice.METHOD: Four hundred and six patients with stage I testicular seminoma were treated with adjuvant radiotherapy following orchidectomy: 338 patients received para-aortic radiotherapy only and 68 patients with added risk factors had radiotherapy extended to include the pelvis. Computed tomograms of relapsed patients were reviewed and sites of relapse were documented with correlation to the radiotherapy field. RESULTS: Thirteen relapses were identified; 10 occurring in the para-aortic radiotherapy group (3.0% relapse rate) and three in the extended radiotherapy field group (4.4% relapse rate). Sites of relapse were; five pelvis, three mediastinum, one lung, one scapula, one scrotum, while one patient had multiple relapse sites including the pelvis and one had a tumour marker relapse with no site identified. All the pelvic relapses occurred in the para-aortic radiotherapy group. CONCLUSION: Pelvic relapse only occurred when radiotherapy had been confined to the para-aortic region. Since para-aortic radiotherapy achieves equivalent outcome to wider field radiotherapy with reduced toxicity, it is likely to become standard practice in stage I seminoma and pelvic relapses will therefore increase in frequency. It is therefore important to include pelvic imaging when relapse is suspected.
CitationThe effect of radiotherapy treatment changes on sites of relapse in stage I testicular seminoma. 2001, 56 (2):116-9notClin Radiol
- Evidence-based guidelines for following stage 1 seminoma.
- Authors: Martin JM, Panzarella T, Zwahlen DR, Chung P, Warde P
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 1
- Long-term results of para-aortic irradiation for patients with stage I seminoma of the testis.
- Authors: Niazi TM, Souhami L, Sultanem K, Duclos M, Shenouda G, Freeman C
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 1
- [Urologic treatment of testicular germ cell cancer].
- Authors: Fernández Gómez JM, Escaf Barmadah S, Guate Ortiz JL, Martín Huescar A, Fresno Forcelledo F, García Rodríguez J, Rodríguez Faba O, Jalón Monzón A, Rodríguez Martínez JJ
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Radiotherapy for stage I and II testicular seminoma after orchidectomy.
- Authors: Malas S, Sur RK, Pacella JA, Donde B, Uijs R, Levin CV
- Issue date: 1996 May
- No predictive value of beta-hCG in patients with stage I seminoma--results of a long-term follow-up study after adjuvant radiotherapy.
- Authors: Bruns F, Raub M, Schaefer U, Micke O
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun