A phase II trial of bryostatin 1 in patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
AuthorsBlackhall, Fiona H
Ranson, Malcolm R
Radford, John A
Hancock, Barry W
McGown, Alan T
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBryostatin 1 is a naturally occurring macrocyclic lactone with promising antitumour and immunomodulatory function in preclinical and phase I clinical investigations. In this phase II study, 17 patients with progressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of indolent type (NHL), previously treated with chemotherapy, received a median of 6 (range 1-9) intravenous infusions of 25 microg/m(2) bryostatin 1 given once weekly over 24 hours. In 14 evaluable patients no responses were seen. Stable disease was attained in one patient for 9 months. The principal toxicities were myalgia and phlebitis. Treatment was discontinued early because of toxicity alone (phlebitis) in 2 patients, toxicity in addition to progressive disease in 3 patients (myalgia and phlebitis n = 2; thrombocytopenia n = 1) and progressive disease in 5 patients. The results fail to demonstrate efficacy of this regimen of bryostatin 1 in the treatment of NHL. In light of preclinical data that demonstrate synergy between bryostatin 1 and several cytotoxic agents and cytokines, clinical studies to investigate bryostatin 1 in combination are warranted. We also present data to demonstrate that central venous lines may be used in future studies to avoid phlebitis.
CitationA phase II trial of bryostatin 1 in patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 2001, 84 (4):465-9 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Phase I and correlative study of combination bryostatin 1 and vincristine in relapsed B-cell malignancies.
- Authors: Dowlati A, Lazarus HM, Hartman P, Jacobberger JW, Whitacre C, Gerson SL, Ksenich P, Cooper BW, Frisa PS, Gottlieb M, Murgo AJ, Remick SC
- Issue date: 2003 Dec 1
- Phase II trial of bryostatin 1 in patients with relapsed low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Varterasian ML, Mohammad RM, Shurafa MS, Hulburd K, Pemberton PA, Rodriguez DH, Spadoni V, Eilender DS, Murgo A, Wall N, Dan M, Al-Katib AM
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- A phase II trial of bryostatin-1 administered by weekly 24-hour infusion in recurrent epithelial ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Clamp AR, Blackhall FH, Vasey P, Soukop M, Coleman R, Halbert G, Robson L, Jayson GC, Cancer Research UK Phase I/II Committee.
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 6
- Phase Ib trial of bryostatin 1 in patients with refractory malignancies.
- Authors: Grant S, Roberts J, Poplin E, Tombes MB, Kyle B, Welch D, Carr M, Bear HD
- Issue date: 1998 Mar
- Phase I study of bryostatin 1 in patients with relapsed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Authors: Varterasian ML, Mohammad RM, Eilender DS, Hulburd K, Rodriguez DH, Pemberton PA, Pluda JM, Dan MD, Pettit GR, Chen BD, Al-Katib AM
- Issue date: 1998 Jan