Are differences in stage at presentation a credible explanation for reported differences in the survival of patients with colorectal cancer in Europe?
AffiliationCentre for Cancer Epidemiology, University of Manchester, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Kinnaird Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4QL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPopular reporting of a comparison of cancer survival rates across 17 European countries, based on data collected by national and regional cancer registries, has left an impression of inadequate treatment of patients in the UK. A subsequent study has suggested that the poor survival rates reported for the UK can, in large part, be explained by more advanced stage at presentation. We believe this conclusion to be unsound and use this study as an example to illustrate the methodological difficulties which may arise during such international comparisons. As the NHS cancer plan aspires to achieve for the UK parity with the best cancer care in Europe, careful thought needs to be given to identifying countries with which the UK can usefully compare itself and the most appropriate indicators for this comparison.
CitationAre differences in stage at presentation a credible explanation for reported differences in the survival of patients with colorectal cancer in Europe? 2001, 85 (6):787-90 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Cancer survival differences between European populations: the UK uneasiness.
- Authors: Gatta G, Capocaccia R, Berrino F
- Issue date: 2001 Sep 14
- Survival differences between European and US patients with colorectal cancer: role of stage at diagnosis and surgery.
- Authors: Ciccolallo L, Capocaccia R, Coleman MP, Berrino F, Coebergh JW, Damhuis RA, Faivre J, Martinez-Garcia C, Møller H, Ponz de Leon M, Launoy G, Raverdy N, Williams EM, Gatta G
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Understanding variations in survival for colorectal cancer in Europe: a EUROCARE high resolution study.
- Authors: Gatta G, Capocaccia R, Sant M, Bell CM, Coebergh JW, Damhuis RA, Faivre J, Martinez-Garcia C, Pawlega J, Ponz de Leon M, Pottier D, Raverdy N, Williams EM, Berrino F
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Surgical treatment and survival from colorectal cancer in Denmark, England, Norway, and Sweden: a population-based study.
- Authors: Benitez Majano S, Di Girolamo C, Rachet B, Maringe C, Guren MG, Glimelius B, Iversen LH, Schnell EA, Lundqvist K, Christensen J, Morris M, Coleman MP, Walters S
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Stage at diagnosis and colorectal cancer survival in six high-income countries: a population-based study of patients diagnosed during 2000-2007.
- Authors: Maringe C, Walters S, Rachet B, Butler J, Fields T, Finan P, Maxwell R, Nedrebø B, Påhlman L, Sjövall A, Spigelman A, Engholm G, Gavin A, Gjerstorff ML, Hatcher J, Johannesen TB, Morris E, McGahan CE, Tracey E, Turner D, Richards MA, Coleman MP, ICBP Module 1 Working Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Jun