Craniospinal radiotherapy for medulloblastoma in a man with severe kyphoscoliosis.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMedulloblastoma is an uncommon tumour in the adult population. Maximum surgical resection followed by craniospinal irradiation with a posterior fossa boost is the standard treatment. We report the case history of an adult with medulloblastoma and severe kyphoscoliosis. The unusual anatomy of the patient posed a technical challenge to the oncologist and the physicist in planning the craniospinal radiotherapy. A shaped spinal field matched to a parallel opposed pair of shaped head fields was used. The technique used in treating this patient was made possible with the use of a multileaf collimation and verification with an electronic portal imaging device. The patient remains well with no sign of relapse 4 years after treatment.
CitationCraniospinal radiotherapy for medulloblastoma in a man with severe kyphoscoliosis. 2001, 13 (2):117-9 Clin Oncol
- Treatment planning with protons for pediatric retinoblastoma, medulloblastoma, and pelvic sarcoma: how do protons compare with other conformal techniques?
- Authors: Lee CT, Bilton SD, Famiglietti RM, Riley BA, Mahajan A, Chang EL, Maor MH, Woo SY, Cox JD, Smith AR
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 1
- Is there an increased risk of spinal relapse in standard-risk medulloblastoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor patients who receive only a reduced dose of craniospinal radiotherapy?
- Authors: Burcu A, Nazan Ç, Özgür Ö, Serra K, Mehmet K, Serap A, Bengü D, Canan V, Haldun Ö, Savaş K, Tuncer T, Taner A, Yeşim E, Ömer K, Yavuz A
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Vulnerability of white matter to insult during childhood: evidence from patients treated for medulloblastoma.
- Authors: Moxon-Emre I, Bouffet E, Taylor MD, Laperriere N, Sharpe MB, Laughlin S, Bartels U, Scantlebury N, Law N, Malkin D, Skocic J, Richard L, Mabbott DJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Pediatric medulloblastoma: radiation treatment technique and patterns of failure.
- Authors: Miralbell R, Bleher A, Huguenin P, Ries G, Kann R, Mirimanoff RO, Notter M, Nouet P, Bieri S, Thum P, Toussi H
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 1
- Posterior fossa boost in medulloblastoma: an analysis of dose to surrounding structures using 3-dimensional (conformal) radiotherapy.
- Authors: Paulino AC, Narayana A, Mohideen MN, Jeswani S
- Issue date: 2000 Jan 15