Carcinoma of the hard palate treated with radiotherapy: a retrospective review of 31 cases.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, M20 4BX, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are few studies reporting the results of radical radiotherapy for carcinoma of the hard palate. We have examined our results of patients treated within a single institution, and assessed survival, local control and morbidity. A retrospective analysis was made on 31 patients with hard palate carcinoma treated with external beam radiotherapy at the Christie Hospital between 1990 and 1997. Twenty-six patients received radiotherapy alone and five were treated for post-operative positive surgical margins. The 5-year actuarial survival rate was 55%. The actuarial 5-year local control rate was 53%, rising up to 69% after salvage surgery. Survival was 48% for squamous cell carcinomas and 63% for salivary gland carcinomas, the difference was not significant. The only significant predictor of local control was T-stage, with 80% 5-year local control of T1-2 lesions and 24% control of T3-4 lesions. N-stage was the only significant factor predicting for survival. Radiation necrosis occurred in one patient. Radical radiotherapy for carcinoma of the hard palate is safe and well tolerated. It is an effective treatment for both squamous cell carcinoma and salivary gland carcinoma.
CitationCarcinoma of the hard palate treated with radiotherapy: a retrospective review of 31 cases. 2001, 37 (6):493-7 Oral Oncol.
- Salivary gland tumors of the palate: the UCLA experience.
- Authors: Tran L, Sadeghi A, Hanson D, Ellerbroek N, Calcaterra TC, Parker RG
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Long-term treatment outcome of minor salivary gland carcinoma of the hard palate.
- Authors: Li Q, Zhang XR, Liu XK, Liu ZM, Liu WW, Li H, Guo ZM
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Carcinoma of the hard palate.
- Authors: Kovalic JJ, Simpson JR
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- Malignant salivary gland tumors of the palate.
- Authors: Chung CK, Rahman SM, Constable WC
- Issue date: 1978 Sep
- Treatment of maxillary sinus carcinoma: a comparison of the 1997 and 1977 American Joint Committee on cancer staging systems.
- Authors: Le QT, Fu KK, Kaplan M, Terris DJ, Fee WE, Goffinet DR
- Issue date: 1999 Nov 1