Screening for herpesvirus genomes in common acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Clayton, R A
Eden, Tim O B
Ford, A M
Greaves, M F
Jarrett, Ruth F
AffiliationLRF Virus Centre, Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Glasgow, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is epidemiological evidence that infection may play a role in the etiology of childhood leukemia in particular common B cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia. A panel of 20 leukemic samples (panel 1) was examined for the presence of four lymphotropic herpesviruses using conventional molecular techniques. A second independent panel of 27 leukemic samples (panel 2), along with 28 control peripheral blood samples from children with other forms of cancer, was tested for the presence of the same four viruses using sensitive real-time quantitative PCR. While herpesvirus genomes were detected, they were present at very low levels; detection rates and levels were similar in the leukemic and control panels. In addition we surveyed 18 leukemic samples (five from panel 1, six from panel 2 and a further seven samples not previously analyzed) using a degenerate PCR assay capable of detecting the genomes of known herpesviruses plus putative new members of the family. No novel herpesvirus genomes were detected suggesting that a herpesvirus is unlikely to be etiologically involved as a transforming agent in common acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
CitationScreening for herpesvirus genomes in common acute lymphoblastic leukemia. 2001, 15 (3):415-21 Leukemia
- The putative role of transforming viruses in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: MacKenzie J, Greaves MF, Eden TO, Clayton RA, Perry J, Wilson KS, Jarrett RF
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- EBV, HCMV, HHV6, and HHV7 screening in bone marrow samples from children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Morales-Sánchez A, Pompa-Mera EN, Fajardo-Gutiérrez A, Alvarez-Rodríguez FJ, Bekker-Méndez VC, Flores-Chapa Jde D, Flores-Lujano J, Jiménez-Hernández E, Peñaloza-González JG, Rodríguez-Zepeda MC, Torres-Nava JR, Velázquez-Aviña MM, Amador-Sánchez R, Alvarado-Ibarra M, Reyes-Zepeda N, Espinosa-Elizondo RM, Pérez-Saldivar ML, Núñez-Enríquez JC, Mejía-Aranguré JM, Fuentes-Pananá EM
- Issue date: 2014
- Presence of human herpesviruses in young children with acute otitis media.
- Authors: Shinogami M, Ishibashi T
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- Quantitation of Human herpes virus 6 genome in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
- Authors: Seror E, Coquerel B, Gautheret-Dejean A, Ballerini P, Landman-Parker J, Leverger G, Schneider P, Vannier JP
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- JC and BK virus sequences are not detectable in leukaemic samples from children with common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: MacKenzie J, Perry J, Ford AM, Jarrett RF, Greaves M
- Issue date: 1999 Nov