Follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the hard palate and oral mucosa: report of three cases and a review of the literature.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To bring to wider attention this uncommon, poorly understood entity which may closely resemble, clinically and morphologically, follicular lymphoma. METHODS AND RESULTS: We report three cases of follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the hard palate and oral mucosa which caused diagnostic difficulties for the referring pathologists. The clinicopathological features are described and integrated into a review of the 16 previously recorded cases. The condition most commonly presents as a slowly growing mass situated in the posterior hard palate but may present with multicentric oral lesions and lymphadenopathy. Morphologically, it is characterized by a dense follicular lymphoid infiltrate within the lamina propria which may show the classical features of benign reactive hyperplasia, but not uncommonly, indistinct germinal centres, ill-defined mantles and a lack of tingible-body macrophages are features which may lead to an erroneous diagnosis of follicular lymphoma. CONCLUSIONS: Follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the palate is a poorly recognized entity which is frequently confused with follicular lymphoma. Awareness of the entity combined with the use of immunohistochemistry for immunoglobulin light chains and bcl-2 protein allows a correct diagnosis to be made avoiding extensive investigation and aggressive treatment to the patient.
CitationFollicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the hard palate and oral mucosa: report of three cases and a review of the literature. 2001, 39 (4):353-8 Histopathology
- Follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the palate: report of a case and review of the literature.
- Authors: Kolokotronis A, Dimitrakopoulos I, Asimaki A
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the palate: case report and literature review.
- Authors: Jham BC, Binmadi NO, Scheper MA, Zhao XF, Koterwas GE, Kashyap A, Levy BA
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Benign lymphoid hyperplasia of the palate: report of two cases and immunohistochemical profile.
- Authors: Napier SS, Newlands C
- Issue date: 1990 May
- Follicular lymphoid hyperplasia of the hard palate simulating lymphoma.
- Authors: Harsany DL, Ross J, Fee WE Jr
- Issue date: 1980 Jul-Aug
- Benign lymphoid hyperplasia of the palate.
- Authors: Bradley G, Main JH, Birt BD, From L
- Issue date: 1987 Jan