Pulmonary (99m)Tc-DTPA aerosol clearance and survival in usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP).
Brutsche, M H
Bishop, P W
Greaves, M S
Horrocks, A W
Egan, J J
AffiliationNorth West Lung Research Centre, South Manchester University Hospitals, NHS Trust, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Clearance of inhaled technetium 99m-labelled diethylenetriamine penta-acetic acid ((99m)Tc-DTPA) from the lungs is a potential indicator of disease progression in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). METHODS: We prospectively analysed the usefulness of this technique for predicting survival in 106 non-smoking patients with usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP) pattern IPF diagnosed by high resolution CT (HRCT) scanning or histological examination (M/F 65/41, mean (SD) age 61 (11) years). DTPA clearance was analysed according to both mono-exponential and bi-exponential models. Half times for the fast (t(0.5)F) and slow (t(0.5)S) components of clearance, the percentage contribution of the fast component (fF), and half time for mono-exponential approximation to the early part of the clearance curve (t(0.5)) were calculated. RESULTS: The patients had substantially faster t(0.5) (mean 23.9 (9.6) minutes) than normal values (>45 minutes). Thirty seven patients (35%) died during follow up (median 15 months). Univariate Cox regression analysis identified significant predictors of survival as age, forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV(1)), forced vital capacity (FVC), total lung capacity (TLC), % predicted TLC, carbon monoxide transfer factor (TLCO), % predicted TLCO, arterial oxygen tension (PaO(2)), oxygen saturation, t(0.5)F, and HRCT fibrosis score. Multiple stepwise Cox regression analysis identified t(0.5)F (p=0.03, hazard ratio 0.747, 95% CI 0.578 to 0.964), % predicted TLC (p=0.02, hazard ratio 0.976, 95% CI 0.956 to 0.995), % predicted TLCO (p=0.003, hazard ratio 0.960, 95% CI 0.935 to 0.986), and age (p=0.003, hazard ratio 1.062, 95% CI 1.021 to 1.104) as independent predictors of survival. CONCLUSION: These data suggest that (99m)Tc-DTPA clearance t(0.5)F measurement may predict survival in patients with UIP pattern IPF.
CitationPulmonary (99m)Tc-DTPA aerosol clearance and survival in usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP). 2001, 56 (12):916-23 Thorax
- Clearance of technetium-99m-DTPA and HRCT findings in the evaluation of patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Antoniou KM, Malagari K, Tzanakis N, Perisinakis K, Symvoulakis EK, Karkavitsas N, Siafakas NM, Bouros D
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 16
- Increased epithelial permeability in pulmonary fibrosis in relation to disease progression.
- Authors: Goh NS, Desai SR, Anagnostopoulos C, Hansell DM, Hoyles RK, Sato H, Denton CP, Black CM, du Bois RM, Wells AU
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- [Pulmonary epithelial permeability in normal subjects and patients with idiopathic interstitial pneumonia].
- Authors: Anazawa Y, Isawa T, Teshima T, Miki M, Motomiya M
- Issue date: 1991 Nov
- The Medical Research Council chronic dyspnea score predicts the survival of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Authors: Manali ED, Stathopoulos GT, Kollintza A, Kalomenidis I, Emili JM, Sotiropoulou C, Daniil Z, Roussos C, Papiris SA
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Clinical and functional outcomes in Middle Eastern patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Authors: Alhamad EH, Masood M, Shaik SA, Arafah M
- Issue date: 2008 Oct