Pulmonary (99m)Tc-DTPA aerosol clearance and survival in usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP).
Brutsche, M H
Bishop, P W
Greaves, M S
Horrocks, A W
Egan, J J
AffiliationNorth West Lung Research Centre, South Manchester University Hospitals, NHS Trust, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Clearance of inhaled technetium 99m-labelled diethylenetriamine penta-acetic acid ((99m)Tc-DTPA) from the lungs is a potential indicator of disease progression in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). METHODS: We prospectively analysed the usefulness of this technique for predicting survival in 106 non-smoking patients with usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP) pattern IPF diagnosed by high resolution CT (HRCT) scanning or histological examination (M/F 65/41, mean (SD) age 61 (11) years). DTPA clearance was analysed according to both mono-exponential and bi-exponential models. Half times for the fast (t(0.5)F) and slow (t(0.5)S) components of clearance, the percentage contribution of the fast component (fF), and half time for mono-exponential approximation to the early part of the clearance curve (t(0.5)) were calculated. RESULTS: The patients had substantially faster t(0.5) (mean 23.9 (9.6) minutes) than normal values (>45 minutes). Thirty seven patients (35%) died during follow up (median 15 months). Univariate Cox regression analysis identified significant predictors of survival as age, forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV(1)), forced vital capacity (FVC), total lung capacity (TLC), % predicted TLC, carbon monoxide transfer factor (TLCO), % predicted TLCO, arterial oxygen tension (PaO(2)), oxygen saturation, t(0.5)F, and HRCT fibrosis score. Multiple stepwise Cox regression analysis identified t(0.5)F (p=0.03, hazard ratio 0.747, 95% CI 0.578 to 0.964), % predicted TLC (p=0.02, hazard ratio 0.976, 95% CI 0.956 to 0.995), % predicted TLCO (p=0.003, hazard ratio 0.960, 95% CI 0.935 to 0.986), and age (p=0.003, hazard ratio 1.062, 95% CI 1.021 to 1.104) as independent predictors of survival. CONCLUSION: These data suggest that (99m)Tc-DTPA clearance t(0.5)F measurement may predict survival in patients with UIP pattern IPF.
CitationPulmonary (99m)Tc-DTPA aerosol clearance and survival in usual interstitial pneumonia (UIP). 2001, 56 (12):916-23 Thorax
- Clearance of technetium-99m-DTPA and HRCT findings in the evaluation of patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Authors: Antoniou KM, Malagari K, Tzanakis N, Perisinakis K, Symvoulakis EK, Karkavitsas N, Siafakas NM, Bouros D
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 16
- Lung clearance of 99mTc-DTPA in ankylosing spondylitis.
- Authors: Cabuk M, Ozdolap S, Altin R, Kart L, Peksoy I, Sarikaya S, Aksoy NB, Besir HF, Mahmutyazicioglu K
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Apr
- Does technetium-99m diethylenetriaminepentaacetate clearance predict the clinical course of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis?
- Authors: Mura M, Belmonte G, Fanti S, Pacilli AM, Fasano L, Zompatori M, Schiavina M, Fabbri M
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Assessment of alveolar epithelial permeability in Behçet's disease with 99mTc-DTPA aerosol scintigraphy.
- Authors: Gumuser FG, Pirildar T, Batok D, Sakar A, Ruksen E, Sayit E
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Clearance of technetium-99m-labeled DTPA in hyperthyroidism without clinical evidence of lung disease, and relation to pulmonary function.
- Authors: Guldiken S, Tugrul A, Altiay G, Hacimahmutoglu S, Durmuş-Altun G
- Issue date: 2005 Sep