Examination of temporal trends in the incidence of childhood leukaemias and lymphomas provides aetiological clues.
AuthorsMcNally, Richard J Q
Cairns, Donal P
Eden, Tim O B
Kelsey, Anna M
Taylor, G Malcolm
Birch, Jillian M
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe age-sex distributions and temporal trends in incidence of leukaemia and lymphoma from the Manchester Children's Tumour Registry (MCTR), 1954-1998, are reported. This 45-year study includes 1795 children, all of whom had a histologically and/or cytologically verified leukaemia or lymphoma. At the time of their diagnoses all the children were under 15 years of age and were resident in a geographically defined area of northwest England covered by the MCTR. Log-linear modelling identified significant linear increases in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) (average annual increase 0.7%; P= 0.005) and in Hodgkin's disease (HD) (1.2%, P=0.04), but not in acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), nor in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). The increase in ALL was most pronounced amongst males, aged 1-4 years, and is likely to be due to precursor B-cell leukaemias. The increases in ALL and HD are discussed in relation to current hypotheses suggesting a role for infection. Additionally, a non-linear cohort effect was identified for NHL (P= 0.008), which may indicate the involvement of environmental factors other than infection.
CitationExamination of temporal trends in the incidence of childhood leukaemias and lymphomas provides aetiological clues. 2001, 15 (10):1612-8 Leukemia
- Patterns and temporal trends in the incidence of malignant disease in children: I. Leukaemia and lymphoma.
- Authors: Blair V, Birch JM
- Issue date: 1994
- Geographical and ecological analyses of childhood acute leukaemias and lymphomas in north-west England.
- Authors: McNally RJ, Alston RD, Cairns DP, Eden OB, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2003 Oct
- Pneumonia diagnosis in childhood and incidence of leukaemia, lymphoma and brain cancer: a Danish nationwide cohort study.
- Authors: Søgaard KK, Farkas DK, Sørensen HT
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 29
- Incidence of childhood leukaemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in France: National Registry of Childhood Leukaemia and Lymphoma, 1990-1999.
- Authors: Clavel J, Goubin A, Auclerc MF, Auvrignon A, Waterkeyn C, Patte C, Baruchel A, Leverger G, Nelken B, Philippe N, Sommelet D, Vilmer E, Bellec S, Perrillat-Menegaux F, Hémon D
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Seasonal variations in the onset of childhood leukaemia and lymphoma.
- Authors: Westerbeek RM, Blair V, Eden OB, Kelsey AM, Stevens RF, Will AM, Taylor GM, Birch JM
- Issue date: 1998 Jul