The human cytomegalovirus immediate-early promoter is transcriptionally active in undifferentiated mouse embryonic stem cells.
AffiliationImmunology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research (PICR), Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt has been reported recently that the cytomegalovirus (CMV) immediate-early promoter is transcriptionally inactive in undifferentiated mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells. This result is surprising, since the CMV promoter is used to express transgenes in a variety of cell lines. We studied the expression of a human CMV-driven enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) reporter gene (pEGFP-N1) in five undifferentiated mouse ES cell lines (BL/6III, D3, E14TG2a, MESC20, and 129) and found EGFP expression in all of these cell lines. Under optimal conditions, between 50%-80% transfection efficiencies could be achieved, and EGFP expression levels were maintained for at least 72 hours. Therefore, the human CMV promoter remains a useful system for transgene expression in undifferentiated ES cells.
CitationThe human cytomegalovirus immediate-early promoter is transcriptionally active in undifferentiated mouse embryonic stem cells. 2002, 20 (5):472-5 Stem Cells
- CMV promotor activity during ES cell differentiation: potential insight into embryonic stem cell differentiation.
- Authors: Bagchi B, Kumar M, Mani S
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Stable expression of hrGFP by mouse embryonic stem cells: promoter activity in the undifferentiated state and during dopaminergic neural differentiation.
- Authors: Zeng X, Chen J, Sanchez JF, Coggiano M, Dillon-Carter O, Petersen J, Freed WJ
- Issue date: 2003
- Analysis of different promoter systems for efficient transgene expression in mouse embryonic stem cell lines.
- Authors: Chung S, Andersson T, Sonntag KC, Björklund L, Isacson O, Kim KS
- Issue date: 2002
- The proximal promoter region of mTert is sufficient to regulate telomerase activity in ES cells and transgenic animals.
- Authors: Pericuesta E, Ramírez MA, Villa-Diaz A, Relaño-Gines A, Torres JM, Nieto M, Pintado B, Gutiérrez-Adán A
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 3
- Usefulness of double gene construct for rapid identification of transgenic mice exhibiting tissue-specific gene expression.
- Authors: Sato M, Watanabe T, Oshida A, Nagashima A, Miyazaki JI, Kimura M
- Issue date: 2001 Dec