The oncogenic potential of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus cyclin is exposed by p53 loss in vitro and in vivo.
AffiliationCancer Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExpression of the Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) cyclin D homolog, K cyclin, is thought to contribute to viral oncogenesis. We show that K cyclin expression in primary cells sensitizes to apoptosis and induces growth arrest, both of which are dependent on p53 but independent of E2F1 or p19(ARF). DNA synthesis, but not cytokinesis, continues in K cyclin-expressing cells, leading to multinucleation and polyploidy. Such polyploid cells exhibit pronounced centrosome amplification and consequent aneuploidy. Our data suggest that K cyclin expression leads to cytokinesis defects and polyploidy, which activates p53. However, in the absence of p53, such cells survive and expand as an aneuploid population. Corroborating these findings, in vivo Emu; K cyclin expression cooperates with p53 loss in the induction of lymphomas.
CitationThe oncogenic potential of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus cyclin is exposed by p53 loss in vitro and in vivo. 2002, 2 (3):229-41 Cancer Cell
- The role of p53 in suppression of KSHV cyclin-induced lymphomagenesis.
- Authors: Verschuren EW, Hodgson JG, Gray JW, Kogan S, Jones N, Evan GI
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 15
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-encoded v-cyclin triggers apoptosis in cells with high levels of cyclin-dependent kinase 6.
- Authors: Ojala PM, Tiainen M, Salven P, Veikkola T, Castaños-Vélez E, Sarid R, Biberfeld P, Mäkelä TP
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 1
- Transcription profile of Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus in primary Kaposi's sarcoma lesions as determined by real-time PCR arrays.
- Authors: Dittmer DP
- Issue date: 2003 May 1
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV)/human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) as a tumour virus.
- Authors: Cathomas G
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus/human herpesvirus 8 infection in reactive lymphoid tissues: a model for KSHV/HHV-8-related lymphomas?
- Authors: Lazzi S, Bellan C, Amato T, Palummo N, Cardone C, D'Amuri A, De Luca F, Beyanga M, Facchetti F, Tosi P, Leoncini L
- Issue date: 2006 Jan