Selective processing of weight- and shape-related words in bulimia nervosa: use of a computerised Stroop test.
AffiliationImmunology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA computerised Stroop colour-naming task was used to measure concerns about weight, shape, and eating in bulimia nervosa. Two versions of the computerised Stroop were compared, a voice-activated and a button-pressing-activated programme. Bulimia nervosa patients were significantly slower in colour naming shape- and weight-related words than their female age-matched controls. The button-pressing computerised Stroop was both more sensitive and more accurate at measuring colour-naming speeds than the voice-activated version. When the bulimia nervosa group were divided according to their Eating Attitudes Test (EAT) scores, those who showed extreme pathological attitudes to weight and shape were significantly slower in colour naming size words and in food disruption scores than those with a lesser degree of psychopathology. The computerised Stroop might be useful as a diagnostic tool and in the assessment of the effectiveness of therapy for the individual patient.
CitationSelective processing of weight- and shape-related words in bulimia nervosa: use of a computerised Stroop test. 2002, 3 (3):261-73 Eat Behav
- Selective processing of linguistic and pictorial food stimuli in females with anorexia and bulimia nervosa.
- Authors: Stormark KM, Torkildsen Ø
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- The disorder-salient stroop effect as a measure of psychopathology in eating disorders.
- Authors: Jones-Chesters MH, Monsell S, Cooper PJ
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Selective processing of eating disorder relevant stimuli: does the Stroop Test provide an objective measure of bulimia nervosa?
- Authors: Black CM, Wilson GT, Labouvie E, Heffernan K
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- [Cognitive biases in an experimental task of focalized selective attention in eating disorders].
- Authors: Rodríguez-Campayo MA, Martínez-Sánchez F
- Issue date: 2005 Mar-Apr
- [Evaluation of perturbed body image in eating disorders using the Body Shape Questionnaire].
- Authors: Lavoisy G, Guelfi JD, Vera L, Dardennes R, Rouillon F
- Issue date: 2008 Dec