Practical methods for compensating for missed treatment days in radiotherapy, with particular reference to head and neck schedules.
AffiliationHammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust/Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnscheduled interruption of a radiotherapy treatment can lead to significant loss in local tumour control, particularly in tumours that repopulate rapidly. General guidelines for dealing with such treatment gaps have been issued by the Royal College of Radiologists and more specific advice on the use of compensation methods has been published previously [Hendry et al., Clin Oncol 1996;8:297-307; Slevin et al., Radiother Oncol 1992;24:215-220]. This article further elaborates on the practical application of these methods. It sets out the main considerations arising in the especially critical case of head and neck treatments and simple calculations are used to illustrate the approaches which may be adapted for particular situations. Radiobiological parameter values are suggested for use in the calculations, but these may require modification in the light of further research in this important area.
CitationPractical methods for compensating for missed treatment days in radiotherapy, with particular reference to head and neck schedules. 2002, 14 (5):382-93 Clin Oncol
- Compliance to the prescribed overall treatment time (OTT) of curative radiotherapy in normal clinical practice and impact on treatment duration of counteracting short interruptions by treating patients on Saturdays.
- Authors: Maciá I Garau M, Solé Monné J, Cambra Serés MJ, Monfà Binefa C, Peraire Llopis M
- Issue date: 2009 May
- A systematic overview of radiation therapy effects in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Zackrisson B, Mercke C, Strander H, Wennerberg J, Cavallin-Ståhl E
- Issue date: 2003
- A national audit of radiotherapy in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: James ND, Robertson G, Squire CJ, Forbes H, Jones K, Cottier B, RCR Clinical Oncology Audit Sub-committee.
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Compensation of missed fractions without knowledge of radiobiological parameters.
- Authors: Carlone M
- Issue date: 2011 Winter
- Acute radiation reactions in oral and pharyngeal mucosa: tolerable levels in altered fractionation schedules.
- Authors: Fowler JF, Harari PM, Leborgne F, Leborgne JH
- Issue date: 2003 Nov