Fulvestrant, an estrogen receptor downregulator, reduces cell turnover index more effectively than tamoxifen.
AuthorsBundred, Nigel J
Nicholson, Robert I
Dixon, J Michael
Robertson, John F R
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, South Manchester University Hospital Education and Research Centre, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: This study was performed to determine whether drug action on breast tumours could also be analysed using a cell turnover index (CTI), a composite measurement of both proliferation and apoptosis. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Data were obtained from a randomized, placebo-controlled trial comparing three single doses (50, 125 and 250 mg) of intramuscular fulvestrant (Faslodex, previously known as ICI 182,780) with oral tamoxifen 20 mg/day for 14-21 days in women with early, operable, ER-positive breast cancer. CTI was calculated as the ratio of the proliferation index to the apoptotic index. RESULTS: Fulvestrant 250 mg significantly reduced CTI compared with both placebo (p = 0.0003) and tamoxifen (p = 0.026). The effect on CTI with tamoxifen was not significantly different from that with placebo. CONCLUSION: This study suggests that CTI may be a useful indicator of drug action on breast tumour growth. A significant reduction in growth was found with fulvestrant 250 mg compared with tamoxifen.
CitationFulvestrant, an estrogen receptor downregulator, reduces cell turnover index more effectively than tamoxifen., 22 (4):2317-9 Anticancer Res.
- Comparison of the short-term biological effects of 7alpha-[9-(4,4,5,5,5-pentafluoropentylsulfinyl)-nonyl]estra-1,3,5, (10)-triene-3,17beta-diol (Faslodex) versus tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Robertson JF, Nicholson RI, Bundred NJ, Anderson E, Rayter Z, Dowsett M, Fox JN, Gee JM, Webster A, Wakeling AE, Morris C, Dixon M
- Issue date: 2001 Sep 15
- Estrogen induces death of tamoxifen-resistant MCF-7 cells: contrasting effect of the estrogen receptor downregulator fulvestrant.
- Authors: Planas-Silva MD, Waltz PK, Kilker RL
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Comparison of fulvestrant versus tamoxifen for the treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women previously untreated with endocrine therapy: a multinational, double-blind, randomized trial.
- Authors: Howell A, Robertson JF, Abram P, Lichinitser MR, Elledge R, Bajetta E, Watanabe T, Morris C, Webster A, Dimery I, Osborne CK
- Issue date: 2004 May 1
- Can transforming growth factor-beta1 and retinoids modify the activity of estradiol and antiestrogens in MCF-7 breast cancer cells?.
- Authors: Czeczuga-Semeniuk E, Anchim T, Dziecioł J, Dabrowska M, Wołczyński S
- Issue date: 2004
- Combination treatment with fulvestrant and various cytotoxic agents (doxorubicin, paclitaxel, docetaxel, vinorelbine, and 5-fluorouracil) has a synergistic effect in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.
- Authors: Ikeda H, Taira N, Nogami T, Shien K, Okada M, Shien T, Doihara H, Miyoshi S
- Issue date: 2011 Nov