The role of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in human mammary development and tumorigenesis.
AffiliationTumour Biochemistry Laboratory, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA relatively small number of cells in the normal human mammary gland express receptors for oestrogen and progesterone (ER and PR), and there is almost complete dissociation between steroid receptor expression and proliferation. Increased expression of the ER alpha (ERalpha) and loss of the inverse relationship between receptor expression and proliferation occur at the very earliest stages of tumorigenesis, implying that dysregulation of ERalpha expression contributes to breast tumour formation. There is evidence also for alterations in the ratio between the two PR isoforms in premalignant breast lesions. Elucidation of the factors mediating the effects of oestradiol and progesterone on development of the normal breast and of the mechanisms by which expression of the ERalpha and the PR isoforms is controlled could identify new targets for breast cancer prevention and improved prediction of breast cancer risk.
CitationThe role of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in human mammary development and tumorigenesis. 2002, 4 (5):197-201 Breast Cancer Res.
JournalBreast Cancer Research
- Steroid receptors and cell cycle in normal mammary epithelium.
- Authors: Anderson E, Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Expression and localisation of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in the bovine mammary gland during development, function and involution.
- Authors: Schams D, Kohlenberg S, Amselgruber W, Berisha B, Pfaffl MW, Sinowatz F
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Altered AIB1 or AIB1Δ3 expression impacts ERα effects on mammary gland stromal and epithelial content.
- Authors: Nakles RE, Shiffert MT, Díaz-Cruz ES, Cabrera MC, Alotaiby M, Miermont AM, Riegel AT, Furth PA
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Progesterone metabolites regulate induction, growth, and suppression of estrogen- and progesterone receptor-negative human breast cell tumors.
- Authors: Wiebe JP, Zhang G, Welch I, Cadieux-Pitre HA
- Issue date: 2013 May 11
- Steroid receptors and their role in the biology and control of breast cancer growth.
- Authors: Cordera F, Jordan VC
- Issue date: 2006 Dec