The role of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in human mammary development and tumorigenesis.
AffiliationTumour Biochemistry Laboratory, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA relatively small number of cells in the normal human mammary gland express receptors for oestrogen and progesterone (ER and PR), and there is almost complete dissociation between steroid receptor expression and proliferation. Increased expression of the ER alpha (ERalpha) and loss of the inverse relationship between receptor expression and proliferation occur at the very earliest stages of tumorigenesis, implying that dysregulation of ERalpha expression contributes to breast tumour formation. There is evidence also for alterations in the ratio between the two PR isoforms in premalignant breast lesions. Elucidation of the factors mediating the effects of oestradiol and progesterone on development of the normal breast and of the mechanisms by which expression of the ERalpha and the PR isoforms is controlled could identify new targets for breast cancer prevention and improved prediction of breast cancer risk.
CitationThe role of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in human mammary development and tumorigenesis. 2002, 4 (5):197-201 Breast Cancer Res.
JournalBreast Cancer Research
- Expression and localisation of oestrogen and progesterone receptors in the bovine mammary gland during development, function and involution.
- Authors: Schams D, Kohlenberg S, Amselgruber W, Berisha B, Pfaffl MW, Sinowatz F
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Progesterone involvement in breast development and tumorigenesis--as revealed by progesterone receptor "knockout" and "knockin" mouse models.
- Authors: Ismail PM, Amato P, Soyal SM, DeMayo FJ, Conneely OM, O'Malley BW, Lydon JP
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Steroid receptors and their role in the biology and control of breast cancer growth.
- Authors: Cordera F, Jordan VC
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Pattern of distribution of cells positive for estrogen receptor alpha and progesterone receptor in relation to proliferating cells in the mammary gland.
- Authors: Russo J, Ao X, Grill C, Russo IH
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Human breast cell proliferation and its relationship to steroid receptor expression.
- Authors: Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2004 Jun