Prediction of scattered dose to the testes in abdominopelvic radiotherapy.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadical abdominal radiotherapy in men runs the risk of impairing their fertility owing to scattered dose to the testes, outside of the treated volume. In patients for whom this is a concern it is important to be able to predict the dose to the testes before treatment in order to determine whether semen cryopreservation should be undertaken and testicular shielding performed during treatment. Measurements have been made on an anthropomorphic phantom to determine the magnitude of these doses for a four-field treatment consisting of an anterior-posterior parallel pair and a lateral parallel pair. A dataset is presented, which, together with a correction for patients size, allows an estimate of testicular dose to be made given only the photon energy, interfield distances and the distance from the testes to the nearest beam edge. Thermoluminescent dosimetry has been carried out in 17 patients to validate the use of the data tables. The results indicate that testicular doses may be estimated with a standard deviation corresponding to 1%-2% of the tumour dose, which is sufficient for the purpose of determining whether fertility is threatened by a planned treatment.
CitationPrediction of scattered dose to the testes in abdominopelvic radiotherapy. 2001, 13 (2):120-5 Clin Oncol
- Testicular doses in definitive radiation therapy for localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Amies CJ, Mameghan H, Rose A, Fisher RJ
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 15
- Radiation dose to testes and risk of infertility from radiotherapy for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Mazonakis M, Damilakis J, Varveris H, Gourtsouiannis N
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Thermoluminescence dosimetry of the dose received by scrotum and testes in radiotherapy of rectal cancer, compared to the point doses calculated by 3D-planning software.
- Authors: Haddad P, Karimi-Moghaddam Z, Esfahani M, Afkhami M, Farhan F, Amouzegar-Hashemi F
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- [Male gonadal dose in adjuvant 3-d-pelvic irradiation after anterior resection of rectal cancer. Influence to fertility].
- Authors: Piroth MD, Hensley F, Wannenmacher M, Zierhut D
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Data required for testicular dose calculation during radiotherapy of seminoma.
- Authors: Mazonakis M, Kokona G, Varveris H, Damilakis J, Gourtsoyiannis N
- Issue date: 2006 Jul