AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Hope and Christie Hospitals, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: Prostate cancer in bone is generally thought to progress more rapidly than in its primary site, a supposition that is supported by studies of prostate-specific antigen velocity. However, descriptions of proliferative rates in metastases have relied on inferred data from in vitro studies of cell lines derived from metastases. The aim of this study was to determine directly the proliferative rate within bone metastases arising from prostate cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS: 10 bone biopsies containing metastatic deposits of untreated prostatic cancer were obtained. These were immunohistochemically stained for the Ki-67 protein with the monoclonal antibody MIB-1, using the streptavidin-biotin complex technique. Benign prostatic tissue was used as the control. Using an image analyser, the Ki-67 index (% of cells staining positively) in each specimen was determined. RESULTS: In the 10 specimens the Ki-67 index ranged from 0.15 to 7.82%. Wide overlap was seen between groups of differing tumour differentiation. CONCLUSION: The proliferative rate as determined by the Ki-67 index in bone metastases of prostate cancer is similar to that reported in primary tumours. There does not appear to be a relationship between tumour grade and proliferative index in these specimens.
CitationKi-67 index in metastatic prostate cancer. 2001, 40 (6):673-6 Eur. Urol.
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide: expression in prostate cancer bone metastases.
- Authors: Bryden AA, Islam S, Freemont AJ, Shanks JH, George NJ, Clarke NW
- Issue date: 2002
- Comparative analysis of the nuclear proliferative index (Ki-67) in benign prostate, prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia, and prostatic carcinoma.
- Authors: Tamboli P, Amin MB, Schultz DS, Linden MD, Kubus J
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Paradoxical expression of E-cadherin in prostatic bone metastases.
- Authors: Bryden AA, Freemont AJ, Clarke NW, George NJ
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Expression of cell-cycle-regulated proteins pRb2/p130, p107, p27(kip1), p53, mdm-2, and Ki-67 (MIB-1) in prostatic gland adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Claudio PP, Zamparelli A, Garcia FU, Claudio L, Ammirati G, Farina A, Bovicelli A, Russo G, Giordano GG, McGinnis DE, Giordano A, Cardi G
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- NKX3.1 as a marker of prostatic origin in metastatic tumors.
- Authors: Gurel B, Ali TZ, Montgomery EA, Begum S, Hicks J, Goggins M, Eberhart CG, Clark DP, Bieberich CJ, Epstein JI, De Marzo AM
- Issue date: 2010 Aug