Concomitant methotrexate and radiotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer: 15-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term follow-up for patients who receive chemoradiation for head and neck cancer is lacking from most studies reported in the literature. This report gives a 15-year review of the use of concomitant methotrexate and radiation in advanced head and neck cancer. Although there has not been any significant benefit in overall survival, the primary control rate is higher in patients who received methotrexate in addition to radiotherapy. However, in those with oropharyngeal cancer, both primary control and survival were significantly improved when chemotherapy was used. The other most significant benefit from chemoradiation is the much lower rate of salvage operations for primary recurrence. The addition of methotrexate failed to show any effect on the development of metastatic neck nodes. The rate of block dissection of the neck was similar in both arms of the study and is comparable with the historical data collected at this institute. There has not been any significant increase in serious late morbidity. The timing of the methotrexate with radiotherapy has a significant influence on primary control and survival in head and neck cancer.
CitationConcomitant methotrexate and radiotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer: 15-year follow-up of a randomized clinical trial. 2001, 13 (5):339-44 Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Promising long-term results with attenuated adverse effects by methotrexate-containing sequential chemoradiation therapy in locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Tsai TL, Chu PY, Tai SK, Wang YF, Yang MH, Wang LW, Lirng JF, Chang SY
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- A randomised clinical trial to contrast radiotherapy with radiotherapy and methotrexate given synchronously in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Gupta NK, Pointon RC, Wilkinson PM
- Issue date: 1987 Nov
- Chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer: 10-year follow-up of the UK Head and Neck (UKHAN1) trial.
- Authors: Tobias JS, Monson K, Gupta N, Macdougall H, Glaholm J, Hutchison I, Kadalayil L, Hackshaw A, UK Head and Neck Cancer Trialists' Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Concomitant chemoradiation for head and neck cancer: saving lives or grays?
- Authors: Henk JM
- Issue date: 2001
- Management of the neck in a randomized trial comparing concurrent chemotherapy and radiotherapy with radiotherapy alone in resectable stage III and IV squamous cell head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Lavertu P, Adelstein DJ, Saxton JP, Secic M, Wanamaker JR, Eliachar I, Wood BG, Strome M
- Issue date: 1997 Oct