Men's experiences of their partner's primary and recurrent breast cancer.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, and Macmillan Practice Development Unit, University of Manchester School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting, Piccadilly South, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe reaction and support from the partner of the woman with breast cancer is viewed by health professionals as an important factor in her adjustment to disease. However, there is little theory and research that focuses on the individual concerns and experiences of the man living with a woman who has breast cancer. Literature concerning the experience of breast cancer recurrence for both the partner and the patient is particularly sparse. The aim of this literature review is to explore the experiences of male partners of women with breast cancer. The role of the male partner supporting the woman with breast cancer, and the potential concerns he may have, will be explored. It will also focus on the partners' experience of living with a woman with primary breast cancer. Finally, the partners' experience of living with a woman with a recurrence of metastatic breast cancer will be considered. Relevant literature is reviewed and critiqued to place current knowledge in context, including identifying areas for further research.
CitationMen's experiences of their partner's primary and recurrent breast cancer. 2001, 5 (1):42-8 Eur J Oncol Nurs
JournalEuropean Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Relationship satisfaction in women: a longitudinal case-control study about the role of breast cancer, personal assertiveness, and partners' relationship-focused coping.
- Authors: Hinnen C, Hagedoorn M, Ranchor AV, Sanderman R
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Men's experiences during their partner's first pregnancy: a grounded theory analysis.
- Authors: Barclay L, Donovan J, Genovese A
- Issue date: 1996 Autumn
- Interdependent anxiety and psychological distress in women with breast cancer and their partners.
- Authors: Segrin C, Badger T, Dorros SM, Meek P, Lopez AM
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Ambiguity and uncertainty: the ongoing concerns of male partners of women treated for breast cancer.
- Authors: Harrow A, Wells M, Barbour RS, Cable S
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Partner experiences of breast reconstruction post mastectomy.
- Authors: Sandham C, Harcourt D
- Issue date: 2007 Feb